First turkey on performer

Mike-Ren

Well i got my new blue performer on thursday and decided to jump in head first...Did the apple brine turkey recipe from here ...Im about an hour and a half in right now and will post pics when i figure out how to do that here... I have them on photobucket, do i just use the img code or the direct link..Sorry, seems all forums have different methods and i did see a test area....

ok got it now, direct link and change name in url.
icon_biggrin.gif
sorry for being new here
icon_confused.gif

That looks fantastic. What temp are you cooking it at?I didn't even know a big bird like that would fit in a kettle ....

[I did have a question tho...In this last picture u can see where one side of the coals burned fine and the other is hardly burned at all..Any help would be appreciated.]

turkey looks awesome, and very daring for your first cook. i have yet to try a turkey on my 3 or 4 month old performer.

regarding your question. i am going to assume you had the same amount of coals burning on both sides, evenly. i am also assuming there were no ashes plugging the bottom vents.

were the lid vent holes placed directly over the unburned coals side, the burned coals side or in the middle of both sides? i am pretty sure this is key.

Absolutely perfect!!! I love to see turkey being cooked when 'it's not Thanksgiving or Christmas'!! Nice bird, very nice!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brady martin:
[I did have a question tho...In this last picture u can see where one side of the coals burned fine and the other is hardly burned at all..Any help would be appreciated.]

turkey looks awesome, and very daring for your first cook. i have yet to try a turkey on my 3 or 4 month old performer.

regarding your question. i am going to assume you had the same amount of coals burning on both sides, evenly. i am also assuming there were no ashes plugging the bottom vents.

were the lid vent holes placed directly over the unburned coals side, the burned coals side or in the middle of both sides? i am pretty sure this is key. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brady thx !! I never thought about the lid vent placement...I turned the lid to where the thermometer was not over either side with the coals, which put the vent directly over one side of coals, the side that burned correctly..Makes total sense now. I did think the therm would give me too high of a reading if it was right over one of the sides with coal.I will adjust for the next cook..Thx again.
icon_cool.gif

Back