First timer...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Greetings! I made the BRITU on my newly purchased bullet for the first time last Friday. It was tiring, but it was fun and also a great learning experience. I started shopping and preparing at 4pm after work and didn't get the ribs into the grill until about 12am Saturday. It was kind of a nightmare because my car ran out of gas, I couldn't find a store that sold candy thermometers, etc... I had to buy an oven thermometer at a local supermarket at 1am in the morning because all I had was a meat thermometer that only went to 210F. I put it on the top grate and positioned it so that I can shine a flashlight down the top vent to see the temperature. Anyways at about 430am I took the ribs out and ate about half a slab with my fiancee. It was a tad salty, but I killed it anyways
icon_smile.gif

My ribs didn't really have a smokey flavor. All I had was hickory chunks and I only put like 3-4 chunks in there because I didn't want it to overpower my food. I also let it burn for about an hour before I put the meat in - maybe that was too long because my chunks were kind of small? Guess I should have put more chunks?

My ribs were also a little dry. I cooked it at about 200 for the first hour (because I had to go buy a thermometer), 225 for the next 2 hours, then about 250 for the last 1.5 hours. What am I doing wrong?

The meat on the ribs also didn't really pull from the bone. I had to kinda gnaw on it to get all the meat off...yummy!
icon_smile.gif

Any tips you can provide would be most appreciated. I also wanted to say this forum is great! My hats off to all the people that make this forum what it is.

Thank you and keep on BBQ'ing.

-Andrew
San Francisco, CA

Andrew

Here is a link to Stogie's method for loin backs.It is often used and cited on the board. Might help you achieve what you're looking for. Keep in mind he was cooking at 225.

Paul

I've had great success smoking babybacks for 3.5 hours, foiling with a little apple juice for 45-60 minutes, and then unfoiling and smoking for another 30 minutes to firm them up. All temps were at 250 degrees measured at the lid.

Back