First timer on the WSM yesterday

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello to all newbie here and to smoking. Bought a WSM on friday and fired it up saturday to do a pork butt for the Chiefs game. I have to tell I could use some advice on keeping a good slow fire going.
I used the "Minion Method" and all was going well, temp at 250 at the dome, couple hours later the fire was just burning up and I had to add more coals. Wind was pretty stong, but I fashioned a block of sorts to help. Under normal circumstances how should my vents be placed as I smoke?

Hi Peter.Welcome to the board.
As you've discovered wind can have a significant impact. Generally, when my temp at the lid starts approaching 200 I start closing bottom vents. The top ones stay open fully throughout the cook. Usually, when wind isn't a factor, all three bottom vents are open a bit, around 20% open or so, sometimes closer to 10% depending on howmuch lit I started with and whether I'm using lump, briquettes or a mix.

If wind is an issue then the vent on that side is closed entirely and I regulate with the other two, sometimes closing another if needed. (You can see how a windbreak can be helpful. I lost mine in the hurricanes and have not yet re-built it.)

Keep in mind that vent adjustments can take 20-30 minutes to be completely effective.

Several factors will determine how your vents will need to be set for each individual cook-- wind is but one of them. Others include how much meat you are cooking, and even if the WSM is in sun or shade. Know that wind will indeed "suck the heat right out of" your cooker, and will accelerate charcoal usage-- a wind block would be a valuable accessory. I find that, once the cooker has stabilized, bottom vents each open about 20% seem to keep the WSM in the 235-250° range for me.

Welcome aboard. Glad your here.
Even with a strong wind it's hard to believe that you were already having to add fuel after just a couple of hours, especially using the Menion Method. What kind of charcoal were you using?

The butt was great and everyone loved it, I was very proud for a first time Q'er.

Chris, I used a canadian briquette called Maple, placed three cherry chunks and three oak chunks then my 20 lit coals my vents stayed wide open the whole time. This is what I was told I should do at my local butcher, but I am seeing somthing totally different here and from my experience I tend to believe that wide open bottom vents burned my fuel up too fast.

Peter:

Glad to hear it worked out fine.

Top wide open and as previously posted...bottom vents 3 x 10-20% or 2 closed and one 20-30%. Whatever is needed to get temp steady at about 230°-245°.

You believe correctly.
Leave the top open but regulate temp with the bottom.

Glad it turned out so well. You're hooked now!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
...Whatever is needed ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.
As Doug said above, other issues can factor in, like quantity of meat, sun or shade,etc. Minor vent adjustments can effect a significant change 30 min later. Keep a log/journal of what you're cooking, all you do, and the effect it has. You'll learn from yourself in no time.
A helpful log link is here.

Man, all vents wide open and didn't get over 250* at the lid. My last cook had all the bottom vents only 5-10% open and between 250 - 260*.

Was your charcoal ring full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back