First timer and only have pork tenderloins

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I just got my WSM and got all excited for the first smoke. Well I was going to do a turkey and all they had were frozen ( this is a small town ). No time to thaw. I saw pork tenderloins on sale so I bought them. Got home...came to the virtual bullet site...Alas, it appears that you should cook those on a REGULAR weber on high heat. RATS. I wanted to smoke up a storm. I think maybe I'll take a chance and jerk one and wrap one with bacon...cooking it slow. Someone stop me if you think this is foolish, otherwise wish me luck.

stop - why not cook it on the WSM with an empty waterpan, instead. The pork tenderloin realy shouldn"t go over around 150 or you'll dry out the lean meat. Of course, you could also set the WSM as a grill and that way you could sear it and then move it for indirect cooking.

Paul

Paul, thanks for slowing me down a bit. Like I said I just got the bullet and I am anxious to smoke some meat...it's a little cold up here in Minnesota right now so I guess I'll just fire up my regular Weber and do them on there.....I am going to have to learn patience.

Rob

The day is young! Zip on out to the store and get a couple pork butts. Plunge on in and make your first cook an overnighter!
icon_smile.gif

Tenderloins don't do well low and slow. Paul's right: 150 internal, tops. They brine well though, and you can certainly jerk them; they just do better at higher temps.

It's true they do better at high temps, but I've smoked 'em with kind of a weird technique.

Fire up the WSM, throw on the smoke wood. When the temp gets to 200, I close down the vents a bit (just like doing low and slow). When it hits 225, I throw on the tenderloin, put a themometer in the meat and just let the temp slowly climb out 'til the internal hits about 135. Then put the grate right over the coals and sear it. They turn out pretty good.

You get a bit of smoke flavor and a nice sear on it.

With Pork Loins beware they mave been pre brined as this will effect the taste and might make it little to salty to your taste. I have done pork loins and they were great. I did a stuffed loin and bbq side by side. Not only was people amazed how good it was but they both came outta of the smoker at the same time. For the bbq 1 I used BRITU rub, the Stuffed loin I used and packet of Stove top stuffing sliced almost in half and layered the inside with the dry ingredients and let the moisture do the magic on the stufing, for the outside I coated in Pork Chop breading from a box. It was awesome and I get a lot requests when I am doing it again.

The do come out better grilled but you CAN smoke tenderloins. I have done it in the past many times.
I oil them or coat them with mustard then use my favorite pork rub and throw them on with a little hickory/apple wood mix and take them off around 140-150. Let them rest a bit before slicing.
Because they are lean they can dry out quick so you will either have to mop or else throw some raw bacon on the top of them so that they get a bit of grease throughout the cook .
Bottom line you will not end up with a nice bark or anythign but you will end up with some tasty pork for sandwiches or cut into medallions and top with a nice bbq sauze glaze
If you can find the book Smoke and Spice they have a great recipe for smoked tenderloins with a jalapeno sauce . Ive done that recipe a few times as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Alexander:
I just got my WSM and got all excited for the first smoke. Well I was going to do a turkey and all they had were frozen ( this is a small town ). No time to thaw. I saw pork tenderloins on sale so I bought them. Got home...came to the virtual bullet site...Alas, it appears that you should cook those on a REGULAR weber on high heat. RATS. I wanted to smoke up a storm. I think maybe I'll take a chance and jerk one and wrap one with bacon...cooking it slow. Someone stop me if you think this is foolish, otherwise wish me luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would rather do PT's on the gasser than in the WSM...just not the connective tissue mass that the other meats have...it doesn't really benefit from a low and slow cook.

Back