First Time User - Eight Racks of BB's...?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, great site. After reading on this site for a couple of hours, went out and purchased my first WSM yesterday. Although I've had some good success cooking babybacks on a gas grill using the indirect method, I've decided to take it the next step and get into using a smoker.

I'd like to do 8 slabs of babybacks this weekend, and after doing my reading here, looks like I'll need a rib rack or to roll the racks using a skewer. My question is: do you think I can get 8 racks of BB's on the two cooking grills combined by cutting the racks in half and laying the 16 half racks bone-side down on the grill? Seems that most here are recommending the rib racks or rolling the ribs as compared to cutting in half and laying directly on grill....why is that?

I've ordered some apple and white oak chunks via Hawgeyes, but not sure they'll arrive by Saturday. If they do arrive, I plan on using 1 chunk of hickory, 1 chunk of white oak, and 2 chunks of apple. If not, probably just 2 chunks of hickory. Does my planned wood use sound reasonable?

I'm going to try to find the bigger water pan (Brinkman Charcoal Pan #10) to replace the stock Weber one. Anyone know if Wal-Mart or Home Depot typically carry this item in stock?

From everything I've read here and know, looks like the "smoke" time for 8 racks at 225-250 degrees will be close to 5 hours. I presume two Weber Chimney's full of charcoal will be enough fuel to do the job and not too much in order to get down to the desired temp, correct?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jeff

well, Im doing my first rib cook today, so all I can help you with is the water pan...I had to go to BB galore to find the Brinkman, I tried both Home depot and Wal Mart first. I paid $10.00 for it and I think I've read somewhere in here someone did find one at Wal Mart for half that so you should check your local store first.

Two Weber chimneys is my standard fuel for a rib cook. As far as water goes, I've never had to refill the standard pan for a rib cook, so don't feel you must have the Brinkmann pan. To me the only advantage of the larger pan on a regular cook is a bigger heatsink-- I don't have a problem adding water to the standard pan if necessary. For an overnighter the bigger pan is a good idea. I've never seen one at either HDs or WMs here, but think you would have a better chance of seeing one at WM during the season. Academy Sports has the Brinkman pan for $5, if you live near one. (Didn't notice your location until too late-- no Academys in OH.)

The main reason to cook the racks intact is fewer dry ends. 8 racks cut in half laid flat still take up the same area as not divided. Rolled, you should be able to fit 4 on each grate.

As far as wood goes, the types you mention should compliment ribs just fine.

You probably already picked this up doing ribs on your grill, but get a little spray bottle and give the ribs a shower every so often toward the end of the cook with apple juice, 3/4 apple juice and 1/4 oil, or half and half apple juice and apple cider vinegar with a little oil added. Adds a nice touch of flavor and moisture.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Jeff,

Congrads on your wise purchase! I agree with the others that you don't need a larger water pan, I've never had to add water on a rib cook.
I have gotten 9 slabs of bb on the WSM and could have fit 10, but they came three to a pack. I skewered them as Chris suggests and they come out great.
If you haven't done the BRITU...you GOTTA try it!
Your gonna have a blast!

Thanks a bunch for the replies, all.

I will wait unitl I've used my WSM to determine if I need the bigger water pan. No need for me to spend the extra bucks in advance....thanks for pointing this out.

Two Weber chimneys full it will be, thanks.

Keri, you are right. That's what I've done in the past....except I've used apple cider and a little oil in a spray bottle.

Randy, I am anxious to try the BRITU down the road. First time out I'm gonna replicate the prep procedure I've done in the past when using indirect method on grill:

Remove membrane and trim off any excess fat.
Rinse in cold water.
Soak in 1:1 apple cider vinegar/water mixture for 4-5 hours. (Stirring, rotating and using ice sack)
Pat dry.
Sprinkle both sides thoroughly with homemade rub.
Wrap in Saran Wrap.
Put in 'fridge for 6-8 hours.
Bring to room temp prior to placing in WSM.

I'll try BRITU in near future....appears to be less time involved, which can always come in handy.

I still haven't decided whether to roll with skewers, but it sounds like the only way I'm going to be able to do 8 racks unless I buy one of those rib rack holders....or maybe try adding a third grate using the soup can method.

Thanks again, all.

Jeff
If your rub is just average as far a salt content goes 6 to 8 hours in the fridge rubbed is much longer than needed. a couple of hours is plenty.
Salt will cure the ribs over time and give you a ham flavor.
Jim

Thanks for the follow-up, Jim. After reflection, the two times I've used the homemade rub, I've left 'em in the 'fridge around 6 hours, not 8.

I've only done BB's using the indirect method on a gas grill, as this weekend will be my first time on my new WSM. Those two times I've used the rub, the ribs didn't have a "ham" taste. Maybe the rub recipe I use has a lower than average salt content for rubs.

Here's the rub recipe, I just double everything to make sure I have enough:

2 T Paprika
2 teas Seasoned Salt
2 teas Black Pepper
2 teas Garlic Powder
2 teas Onion Powder
1 teas Oregano
1 teas Dry Mustard
1/2 teas Chilli Powder
1/2 teas Cayenne Pepper
1/2 teas Thyme
1/2 teas White Pepper
1/8 teas Cumin
1/4 C Brown Sugar - Dry

Down through the Cayenne Pepper, you'll probably recognize this rub as a "Rendevous" Rub....I added the thyme, white pepper, cumin and brown sugar for a personal variation.

Do you feel that with the amount of "seasoned salt" (I use Lawry's) in the above rub, I run the risk of having "ham" past 6 hours in the 'fridge?

Thanks a bunch....I very much appreciate the input/feedback.

Jeff,

Sounds like you are well on your way to some tasty ribs.

The amount of wood sounds about right for what you are doing.

You don't want to layer the ribs on top of each other. This prevent smoke and heat from even distribution. If you plan to keep rotating them, you'll be extending the cook time each time you open the lid.

I use a rib rack and stand the BB's on end(bones vertical), then lay a couple against the racks, on the edges, wherever best they fit.

I do rotate them from lower to upper rack about half way through cooking.

Another option, would be to add a 3rd grill, sitting on some fire bricks that are resting on one of the existing grills. Again, using rib racks.

Good luck!!

Jeff
Your rubs is very low in salt and you should have no problem, I personely would add some more salt.
I would put about as much salt as sugar in a rub.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back