First Time TODAY!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay a virgin to this am I!
I wanted to try two spatchcock chickens and a slab of spare ribs. I began them abour 1pm (eastern). I put the chickens on top and the ribs on the bottom. I have a waterpan with some apples in it. I lit some Kingsford in a chimeny and added some hot coals over some unlit coals. Once the temp reached >275 I added the hot water and the meat. I have the top Vent open and will keep it that way. I have had the bottom vents open 100% and the temp will not get above 230. Am I doing something wrong? I have read so much about it getting too hot. The meat went on at 2pm. I turned it at 4pm and sprayed it with apple juice. Should I expect to check the temp of the meats around 6pm?
I am so excited!
I love being an AMERICAN!
Any advice would be great.
Darren

Darren,

Where are you measuring your temp at...lid or top cooking grate? If at cooking grate 230 is OK, if at lid, it's probably 210 to 220 at grate, a little cool but not bad.

I would have put the ribs on top instead of having poultry juices dripping onto meat. I always put poultry on bottom, just to avoid ANY chance of cross-contamination.

The apples in the water pan...Ok don't know how much flavor they'll add but they're OK. Spare ribs will take at least 6 hours I would think at those temps. What kind of smoke wood did you use?

My last question...what the h--l is a spatchcock chicken? GOOD LUCK let us know how it turns out.

Spatchcock is what the real chefs call it when they cut the spine out of a small bird and lay it flat,what some folks call butterflying. It is a very nice technique, he cooking time is shorter and all the skin is on one side. I do it all the time.
HTH,

Darren,
Did you make sure all the coals in the charcoal ring were a nice ash covered gray before you assembled your WSM and started cooking? It sounds like your temps initially came up nicely and then sort of died off. I did that a couple of cooks back where I sort of brain farted and did a combination Minion method/standard method and almost snuffed out my coals. I had to open my bottom vents 100% and open the access door for a while to get things fired up again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I lit some Kingsford in a chimeny and added some hot coals over some unlit coals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like you did the same thing.

Standard method (short 2-6 hours cooks): Hot coals on the bottom, unlit coals on top. Assemble when all coals nice ash covered gray. Close bottom vents until temps drop to 300-315 degrees, meat on, then open and adjust as needed to control.

Minion method (long cooks): Full ring unlit coals on bottom, a 15-20 lit coals on top, assemble immediately, meat on, open vents 100% until temps come up 200 degree range, then adjust vents down as needed to control.

P.S. chicken on the bottom!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back