First Time Smoking!

Shawn looks like a good mess of ribs to me and a very nice view.You did one thing right....you couldn't have started out woth a better smoker....it takes some folks years to learn about the WSM.
The more you cook the better you get...you will learn somthing new evertime...keep a cook log.

Well just put the second batch on the smoker!! here we go for round 2. More ribs (they are on sale for 1.89 a pound so good to learn on) These will be for the church pot luck tomorrow. In so cal home smoked food is as rare as a unicorn in these parts we will see how that goes over.

Lessons learn from last time.

I doubled the amount of coals, seems easier to keep a hot fire cool than a cool fire hot.

Rubbed the ribs and let them sit longer (Whats is a good amount of time?)

Using chunk wood over chips this time also.

I am going to Try pulling them at 3 hours wrapping them in foil and finishing them. (Do I put bbq sauce on them at this point or is that after everything is done?)

well back to sitting on the porch, and watching the Full moon pass over Burbank. Ahh this is a good hobby!

I think most of your things to improve are pretty good. Though I also think your first shot at ribs turned out pretty nicely -- while the exterior was pretty dark, I actually like that amount of caramelization quite a bit. They looked juicy and tender from your pics.

When I do ribs, I put them on the smoker immediately after rubbing. Otherwise they can get a bit "hammy." Also, instead of starting with a lot of lit coals, you should try the minion method (you'll see plenty of information on it on this site). For ribs, I usually start with about 20-25 lit coals in a minion setup.

Just look at that shiny new WSM! And the view! Oh, and those ribs look great. Looking forward to more smokes from you. Cheers!

Back