First Time Smoker

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought the WSM in mid June, my friend has been smoking for awhile and I thought I would try it too after tasting his wonderful food. My family had a retirement party for my father and I offered to cook, well I ordered the WSM at my local hardware store and it arrived one day before we left for Canada. My son put it together and we loaded it on the truck and away we went.
Having only had a few hours to look for methods and recipes I printed off everything I could find. Upon arriving at my parents house after a 12 hour ride I began preparing to cook, I made the rubs, mop sauces and read the how to smoke material.
I started cooking that night around 8 PM, by about 11 PM the smoke smell filled the air around the neighbourhood, I saw a boat passing and could hear them talking about that great smell, I smiled knowing it was from my smoker.
I remained up all night and did fall asleep for an hour or so, quickly I went and checked the temp to make sure it was ok.
Around 9 the next morning I took off the cover and checked the brisket, butt and turkey, they were all done to perfection. I wrapped the brisket in foil and put it in the ice box.
My husband helped later in the day to slice up the meat as I prepared some beer butt chicken too, I was determined to impress these folks with my great first time smoking skills, as the first folks arrived they asked what is that bullet looking object?
As we put out the food more folks arrived and in about 25 minutes 55 people consumed 1 14 lb turkey, 1 12lb brisket, 1 8lb pork butt, 10 lbs of ribs(my brother did those) and 4 beer butt chickens, along with the baked beans I made and the coleslaw. They were totally taken with the taste and kept asking questions about it, which of course I just read the night before, I got an offer to sell my WSM that day too.
Later that night as the party wound down everyone thanked us and went home. My mother says that they are still talking about that good BBQ that they ate and asked when I was coming back with the bullet......she said next summer however I might take a ride this fall.
My father managed to put away the small brisket and froze it after wrapping it carefully with sarn wrap and foil. He said he took it out in August and they enjoyed that taste once again.
Since then I have been cooking alot with it and enjoying the helpful hints that I find on the message board, thank you all for your tips.

There is nothing better than friends and family together enjoying great food...
Congrads on your smoke, I enjoyed reading your post.
Isn't it fun how the WSM makes you a superstar among your family and friend?

Happy to hear everything went so well. I have one concern, however, that you say your turkey was done to perfection, but took-- if I read correctly-- 13 hours to do so. That would mean your poultry spent an extremely excessive amount of time in the "danger zone"-- between 40* and 140*-- far longer than the 1-2 hours recommended by all safe food preparation practices guidelines.

Information here .

I only kept the turkey in the smoker for 2.5 hours just to get the smoke flavour, having been very concerned about the low temp I moved it to the oven in the house and finished it off in there, in the beginning I had a hard time to keep the temp between 225-250..kept spiking to 300 but after tweaking I was able to get it to hold a temp of 225. I put another smaller brisket on in place of the turkey, just to be sure we would have enough food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back