First time pork butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did my first pork butt this weekend, and man o man!!!

I was driving through Kelso and found the cash n carry place down there. Got a cryo-pak o pork butts for like 94 cents/lb. 14.23 to be exact. Did the renowned mr. brown recipe for both. Rubbed the night b4. Up at the crack o dawn with a cup o joe and a mess of kingsfords. Reminded me of camping. Got the butt on, and pretty much went about my normal sunday business, occasionally checkin on the butts. Gotta love that WSM. It was like it was on cruise control. About half way through the cook I did the southern succor sop. They turned out spectacularly!! Gonna have some for dinner tonight too! Just thought I'd post and share with y'all. Cheers!

Glad you were happy with your first pork butt!

You might like to also check with Thriftway - they have them on sale, through tomorrow, for 88 cents/lb. I picked up four of them, Friday, and cooked two, yesterday. The WSM/Minion combo kept a steady temperature for the entire cook, 11 hrs.

Fly4food
There is a Cash & Carry in Federal Way and I know they also had those kind of prices. Sam's had butt by the case for .71 a pound last week.
Pork prices are down right now.
Jim

I picked up cryovaced butts at Sam's Club in the Phoenix area last week for .84 lb. I also picked up baby backs for $2.88 lb. And finally a cryovaced pack of tri-tips for 1.99 lb.

Cooked two of the tri-tips on Sunday. Used the WSM, sand in the water pan, held at 300* till the internal temp of the smallest tip hit 140*. Pulled, rested, sliced really thin. Then served with pinquitos beans, salsa, and tortillas.

The two tri-tips disappeared so quickly, I wished I'd put on four. So did my guests.

Hey, meat prices are down. It's a great time to barbecue.

Meat is expensive out here. I got great meat for the Royal at low prices and while at Sam's Club in Grand Island, NE saw Butts by the case for $0.71/#.

I think I have everyone beat. Lowe's Foods ran a sale last week on Pork Butts for 69 cents/pound. I bought 3, all around 8 Lbs. I Vac-Packed them and put them in the freezer for future use.

Well Sam's Club in North Seattle now has a price of 63 cents a pound for butt only little problem is they were out of stock /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back