First time making BRITU ribs!

Steve Burch

TVWBB Fan
Cooked my first BRITU ribs today (actually just finished eating them)!

They were BY FAR the BEST ribs I or my wife has ever eaten. Between the two of us, we ate three 2+# slabs.

I followed the recipe almost exactly as far as ingredients, but cooked over lump (Royal Oak) and used the minion method of firing. I also fired the smoke wood in with the chimney to get it a bit burned before putting it in the cooker.

Vent settings were all three CLOSED on the bottom for first three hours. The top was actually closed about 25% after the first hour cause the cooker got up to 250. With the bottom closed and the top open 75% we maintained the temp at 225 to 235 the entire three hours.

After three hours, I opened the bottom three vents to about 30% open and the top to 100% open. This sent the temp of the cooker to 250-265 for the remaining hour+ of the cook.

I checked for complete cooking when they passed the tear test.

For a BBQ/honey topping I substituted Sweet Baby ray's Original and added the recommended amount of honey for the finishing sauce.

For a side we had K Kruger's Stove Top mac and cheese recipe listed in the "Side Dishes" section of this site. That was also EXCELLENT!! I used 8oz of sharp cheddar and 4 oz of empire pepper jack for the cheeses.

This was a meal that I'll likely dream about! It was THAT good!

Back