First Time Gas Grilling Weber Go Anywhere

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Dear Everyone - I'm an experienced charcoal griller - hardcore, I love my fire! I decided to get a gas grill for those nights when I need to jet off to work or will be coming home later and want a quicker meal that is still grilled.

I already have a Weber Go Anywhere Charcoal with cast iron grates, so I got the gas Go Anywhere so I can use those same lovely grates.

I've put it together and I wanted to just ask for some advice before I use it tonight for the first time -

First off, for my charcoal grills I'd let them burn hot at least a half an hour for the first time using them. Do I need to do anything like that with this gas grill?

Second, for the cast iron grates, I'm assuming that I'll just lightly oil them when they are heated up like I would normally do for charcoal.

I was thinking to let it pre-heat at high for 10 minutes unless I need to do any kind of a burn off.

Anything else I should know or any tips? I plan on grilling salmon and vegetables.

Thank you!

Laura

In my experience, the gas go anywhere doesn't get very hot, even preheating for 10 mins. Most of the time I use it is on cold (50F) days in the wind on a picnic tables. It takes a while just to brown hot dogs. A wind break and longer preheat might have helped, but I went SJG, where I can get a good sizzle even on a colder day. Good luck and I hope your experience is better.

Maybe I just got lucky - this one is the latest model with the darker handles. It wasn't windy at all (and I've got a great cement wall windbreak if it does). It got pretty hot on high - I was surprised. I threw my grate thermometer on it at the end of my cook while my food was on it and it got to 400 and climbing before I had to take it off to go eat. I doubt I'll do a steak on there (gimme my hardwood lump!) but today I'm going to try chicken and hamburger.

I am pleasantly surprised and was amazed at how good the my salmon and vegetables tasted - I'll always be a fire girl but it is a treat to discover that gas can get pretty close. I'm really happy!

Thank you -

Laura

Back