First time feedback

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I used my WSM for the first time on Friday night using the Minion Method overnight to cook four pork butts (a little over 20lbs.) for a total of about 17 hours....The results were fantastic and I received raves all around. A few questions/comments:

1. I had to add a few half chimneys of lit charcoal during the process. Is this normal? What's the best thing to do, add hot coals or just add coals and keep the vents open?

2. i cooked the butts to an internal temp of 180-185. I wanted to get up to 190 but lost patience. They pulled very easily after resting for about an hour. Will waiting to get to 190+ make a big difference?

Finally, I made some ABT's and they were phenom! cream cheese, olives, sausage and some Blind Betty's "Blind in the Rind" hot sauce. Major crowd pleaser!

John

John,

Congrads on your success! Since I have yet to do anything other than ribs, chicken and salmon, I can't answer your questions...just wanted to say congrads.

Hi John,
It sounds like you had great sucess on your first cook- congratulations!
As for your questions:
1. 17 hours is a long stretch, and depending on conditions, it's not unreasonable to have to add fuel. As for adding coals, if you're using briquettes it's best to get them burning well before adding. I'm one of the heretics here who prefers lump charcoal to Kingsford. If you're using lump you can add unlit chunks and just let them catch.
2. I usually try to cook butts to 190-195. They're usually close to falling apart. But yeah, that patience thing can be tough. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim

Hi John,

Congrats on the first time cook!

1. I also use the Minion Method for those long BBQ sessions and for butts and briskets, I always have to add coals toward the end. So, this is not unusual at all, especially if you go as long as 17 hours.

2. The butts will measure a different temperature in various parts of the butt, so it is not unusual if there is a several degree difference from one part of the butt to the other. In addition, the internal temperature of the butt can continue to rise after you pull it off of the smoker. I usually pull my butt off anywhere from 185 to 190 degF.

John
congrats! Way to go!
I cant add much to whats been said about fuel consumption over along cook. Some people get 14 hours or more, some 11-12.
If you get the meat temp up to 185 and wrap in foil cover with some towels and place in the cooler for a resting period the internal meat temp will go above 190* On overnight cooks I usually get the buts done way before Im ready to eat and I take them off at 185 and hold them this way.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back