first time ever turned out great

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am new to smoking (hence the beginner's forum).
I purchased my weber smoker last week from bbq galore.
I had owned the thing for about 1.5 days before I was actually able to use it.
Since my mother is only eating fish these days (no other meats), I decided my first try at smoking would be to make the Brined Appetizer-Style Salmon.

I had purchased 3 fillets with skin, totaling about 2.6lbs.
to be honest I was quite afraid to use all 3 fillets...I kept thinking "what if I mess up?".
But I went forth anyhow. I did everything the instructions said...well everything except for the savory and onion powder (we didnt have any).

after the 2 hours of prep.
I was able to start off the weber at about 240-244 (with fish in). The temp dropped a bit about 25 mins after that. I had a feeling I may not have used enough coal. Oh I was using alder chips (I made the mistake of buying chips instead of chunks...so I just soaked the chips to slow the consumption...and I also added some a few times during the 3 hour cook).
The recepie calls for 240-250 degree cook...mine was mostly around the 220-230 range I think...a few times I brought it up to 240 but it would soon drop...Again I think I skimped on the coal becuase I was afraid I would make the thing too hot and wouldnt be able to bring the temp down.

All in all I cooked for almost exactly 3 hours.

The finished product was excellent.
So much so that I ate about 1/2 a fillet w/in 20 mins of removing it from the cooker.

We were to have people over that night...and I decided to let them have it(instead of hoard it for myself)...
I am glad I did that..because they loved it, and the praises came in all night.

So for my first time ever, I was very very happy with my results, I'll try not to be so "afraid" of bad results on my next cook.

Couldnt have done it w/o this webpage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back