First time doing double duty...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well I am about to finish my first smoke....baby back ribs. Paul Kirk recipe with a twist....after 4 1/2 hrs of smoking 240-250 deg and spraying down with apple juice every 1.5 hrs...I then wrapped in foil. I will keep them in foil for about 2 hrs at 250 - 275. They should be very very tender.

Meanwhile, I also picked up a pork butt today...( 8.2 lbs at $1.00 per pound on sale) Am going to use Mr Browm method. It is currently in frig with the rub on it and tomorrow I am going to put in on around 7 am. My first pork butt...hope it works!!

Steven

How were the ribs? Congrats on the first cmoke. You will love the Butt! Do the Minion. I am kind of traditional when it comes to my pig. Hickory with maybe a little oak, but always heavy on the hickory. What kind of wood are you going to use? Good luck!

The ribs were great!! smoked for a total of 6 hrs. Very tender. Would haveliked it to be alittle more spicey though. I used a combination of hickory, apple, cherry and sasafras.

I put the pork butt on at 9:30 am. Using the Minion method with Royal Oak lump. Hope it wrks...it is 12 deg when I started. I plan on trying to keep temp around 250...after 30 min holding steady there, however, I have all the grates open full. IF it stays that ways I am sure I will need to add charcoal...I am using the same combinatin of wood....mainly since I don't have any oak yet.

Steven

Got my WSM back in Nov. Coldest weather for me when I was smoking was in the 30's. Keeping a temp wasn't a problem. But you got colder weather there. A super windy day was the only time I have ever had problems.
After about 1 hour and a half to 2 hours mine always starts to heat up, and I need to adjust the bottom vents accordingly. Then it is pretty much smooth sailing. I always count out 20-25 hot coals to put on a full ring of unlit Kingsford when I smoke. You are going to be surprised about how long that thing will hold its temp.
Be ready for the compliments!

Steven
I smoked two butts yesterday, the biggest was about 6.5 lbs. and it took 15 hours to reach 186.

The last 2 hours it was wrapped in foil.
But by then it had a nice dark bark and the outer meat was very tender. I used foil to get the very center temp up from a long plateau at 160.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back