First steak cook on new EP330, advice?

As Andy says the Genesis or any grill with a sear burner works well and I used it and other ways with charcoal to get the coals right below the grate. You can get great results from them once you learn your grill.
I respectfully disagree in regards to the Grill Grates being unnecessary as I have seen much better performance using them. You can get just as hot, but you don't need to if you do not want to. Also the design reduces flare ups to almost nothing. Also what used to flare up and literally go up in smoke gets put right back onto the meat. It is hard to describe till you start using them. And once you do you won't use a standard grate again if you can help it. JMHO

i like trying new things and the grates look like something that would be fun to try out. going to try this weekends steak right on the genesis grates again, but will probably pick up a set of grill grates in the next month or so to try out.

...I respectfully disagree in regards to the Grill Grates being unnecessary ...

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. While I never used G.G. I will say that when a fellow member of the forum buys a new grill upwards of $800.00 with a sear station, and asks for tips to propely grill a steak on it that he's told he should purchase another $90 of alluminum grates....um...no. They are not "necessary".

The 330 when used properly will grill up a steak as best as any gasser can. Temperature control and flare ups are pretty much not an issue here and if that's what's going on, it's better to learn how to use the grill correctly, identify if there's a problem with the grill/burners/flame guards and ensure proper technique before running off for new grates. :)

Last edited:
As Andy says the Genesis or any grill with a sear burner works well and I used it and other ways with charcoal to get the coals right below the grate. You can get great results from them once you learn your grill.
I respectfully disagree in regards to the Grill Grates being unnecessary as I have seen much better performance using them. You can get just as hot, but you don't need to if you do not want to. Also the design reduces flare ups to almost nothing. Also what used to flare up and literally go up in smoke gets put right back onto the meat. It is hard to describe till you start using them. And once you do you won't use a standard grate again if you can help it. JMHO
I fully recommend the grill grates,use them on my EP-330 with great results. No flareups. Also have them on my 22 OTG!

Basically Andy that is what I said, learn your grill charcoal or gas and you can get great results. If you want to try something that in my opinion works even better that would be Grill Grates. Everyone has something that works better for them and the GG's have been that for me and wanted to OP to have another option if he so chooses.
Nothing beats learning your grill and how it cooks. Options are always a good thing.

i like trying new things and the grates look like something that would be fun to try out. going to try this weekends steak right on the genesis grates again, but will probably pick up a set of grill grates in the next month or so to try out.

J.T. i had the same problem of charring a lot when i tried grilling my first steaks on my new ep-330.
Switching from a q-220 which never needed attending to it except flipping the steaks , this new grill literally feels like a nuclear reactor with a lot of flare ups.
it was a big disappointment when i burned my first 2 tries of steaks
so the solution i came up with was to set all burners high and let temperatures reach around 600-700 and turn all burners to medium and the sear burner to off or low.the burners when set high seems to have some flames leak out on the sides causing the meat to burn . try this way and see if it works for you.
i am still considering about grill grates . we'll see
good luck mate
cheers

also, i have a question about the salt. I have read to salt the steak while it's warming up to room temp so the salt has time to get into the meat, but i have also read that if you let a steak sit with salt on it, the salt can draw out the moisture of the meat.

By salting the steak and leaving it out of the refrigerator the salt will draw moisture out of the meat and to the surface of the steak. The moisture will then dissolve the salt and thru osmosis the salted water will then be drawn back into the steak. I do this all the time and with great results. With beef you can leave the steak out of the refrigerator for an hour or more without worry.

Just got a Genesis 330 myself. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I realized that that thing burns way too hot with the sear burner on to to a 4 minute sear on each side. Try 45-60 sec at 10 45-60 sec at 2 flip over and repeat. move to indirect side and cook to 125-130.

Back