First Spring Cook - St. Louis Ribs

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
First spring cook of 2023 was St Louis ribs on the 18WSM.

The family thought they turned out really good; great balance of smoke to rub to porky goodness. A shine of KC Masterpiece Private Stock Reserve.

I only have a picture of the ribs fresh off the smoker - the family was practically pawing at me from behind as I was slicing.

StLouis-Ribs-3-26-23.jpg

Sides were homemade cornbread, baked beans, steamed veggies. It was a good Sunday!

Looking really good....my ribs also always come out darker than I think they will and way darker than I see them do in comps on TV but always tender and delicious.

I like the bark color. Did you use bbq sauce in the last phase or it just smoked to that color? How many hours and what temperature? Did you foil wrap them?

I like the bark color. Did you use bbq sauce in the last phase or it just smoked to that color? How many hours and what temperature? Did you foil wrap them?
My cook was:
Soo's Donut Load
1/2 chimney coals poured in center
2 chunks pecan, 2 chunks hickory - buried
Bowl in, empty
Target temp of 240F per dome thermometer
Spritzed twice for moisture - plain water
4 hr cook - full ride/no wrap
I did a light slather of the sauce at 3 1/2 hours in; and let it set for the last 30 minutes

Very tender, good bark, great taste.

When I do pork rib, I usually do that 3,2,1 hours method, and after all six hours, I can not get that dark bark like yours. I use water in the pan, and foil wrap, target temp 225. Mine after unwrapping, will have more shrunk than yours, and it bends to break, just the crust is not to my expectation.

I prep my ribs with honey mustard as a binder for my own rub mix which has brown sugar in it (and spices for sweet w/ heat).

The dark color is most likely due to the caramelization of the sugars in the mustard and my rub. They were still a light brown/mahogany about half way thru the cook, but darken towards the end.

Back