First Spatchcock Turkey WSM 18.5 Will it fit

Josh Sanders

Have a 14 pound bird.

But, since I am cooking it for a work putluck on tuesday and I don't want to wake up at 3am, I'm going to spatchcock it.

Never done this before, but feel like I have a pretty good handle on the how to's.

My question is, will a spatchcock'd 14lb bird fit on my WSM 18.5

Josh,
I cooked three pork shoulders on my 18.5; two 8+ pounders on the top rack and a 8 pounder on the bottom. That bird should fit on the bottom rack (extra head room with top rack off).

Paul

I smoked a 17 pounder on my 18 with no problem at all, So 19 shouldn't give you any problems either.

By some of the replies in this thread, I'm not sure everyone is reading the question...
Luckily, Chris posted up his thread and here's his photo in action.

butterflied14.jpg

When I smoke turkey's I like to cut out the back bone and slightly pull it open. I don't go as far as trying to make it flat because it would be a tight fit on a 18.5 wsm. In my opinion, taking out the backbone and propping the turkey on the wsm in a way that the new opening from taking out the backbone remains open, there is enough air flow threw the turkey to speed cooking along. I've had many successful turkey smokes that way. Enjoy!

Back