first smoke, rib trouble...

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
hi all, excited to join the site. I just bought a WSM and hadd some friends over for some chicken and ribs last night. The smoke went well, not great. I did 2 whole chickens (top rack) and 2 racks of spareribs(bottom rack). They cooked for about 5 hours between 210 and 230 degrees. I used the Minion method. the chicken was great, the ribs were not fall-off-the-bone tender. What happened? they were rubbed and rested as ordered. They had not shrunk on the bones very much though. Temp too low? not a long enough cook? top rack next time? please help! thanks guys

Ahh Hunter ... we are in the same boat (didn't know it was so big, eh?) I did my second rib smoke on Sunday.

Check out some of the parallel threads going on right now about this.

I haven't done spares yet, but I don't think you smoked them long enough, the temp. was a little low, and you might want to explore the World of Foiling.

I'm thinking the same as Dennis, heat a little low and not long enough cooking. Hunter, where were you measuring the temps you quoted?

Also, it is probably best not to have chicken cooking above other meat; not dire, but there is a possibility of dripping uncooked chicken juices...

ok, copy on too cool and not long enough. I bought a digital thermometer with a long metal cord so i can place it anywhere, but on this cook i just put it through a cork and stuck it in one of the vent holes in the lid. Does it read hotter or colder near the top? i suppose if it is hotter at the lid, the lower grate could have been as cool as 180 degrees or so? would you recommend i take multiple readings in different places? where should i take them? thanks again guys!

Hunter

Hunter

The problem on the spares was not enough cooking time. I do them often and if I don't use foil for 1 hr after the 3.5 hr mark, they'll take 7 hrs. If you use the foil at 3.5 for an hour, you'll cut the cook time down by at least and hour and the ribs will be tender. You'll have to experiment to determine how long you want them in foil. The longer the more tender, up to falling off the bone if that's what you want.

If you measure your temp through the vent at the dome of the lid, that will read approx 20 degrees hotter than the top grate and maybe 30 to 35 degrees hotter than the second grate. Read the section on "cooking", measuring temps from the homepage and you'll get lots of info.

Enjoy your WSM.

Paul

The temp is usually hotter at the lid than the grate.

If you have the room, put the thermometer probe on the grate level. Poke it through a small potato and set it on the grate, making sure the tip doesn't touch the grate or the ribs or anything and not too close to the edge (there's a hotter column of air going up the sides of the WSM - could give false readings).

Hunter,

The temp at the lid tends to be 10-15 degrees (F) hotter than at the top grate, which is 5-10 degrees hotter than the bottom grate.

Here's a link that talks about measuring temps in the WSM. If you scroll down on the page it talks about the temp differences.

I have a dual probe digital thermometer and I usually have each probe mounted at the grill surfaces. Then, as a sort of belt & suspenders kind of thing, I stick my turst candy thermometer in one hole of the dome. The candy thermometer is easier to see at a distance so it's nice to have.

If my dome temp is around 235-240F my grate temps are around 220-225F.

If I use my Guru, I attach the clip to one of the grates and don't use the other digital thermo but still have the candy thermo in as an extra datapoint.

Joe

ok, 2 things. first of all, you guys are awesome. it is so cool that so many guys are passionate enough about this stuff to share their tips and successful techniques. I have never owned a smoker or tried before last night but all your info makes it so much easier. Couple more questions: How long is too long having the ribs in foil? Also, I used the minion method, lighting about 25 briquettes. It seemed like the temp crept up slowly, but i never felt like i was battling to cool the temp off. Should i have lit more briquettes in the beginning to get the fire going hotter and then slowed it down? it was about 65 degrees and light wind. Cant wait to try it again!

How long is too long depends on your personal taste. I go 45 minutes because I like for them to be tender but still have a little chew. I tried 1 hour and they were too tender and almost "fallin' off the bone".

I would not go more than 25 lit to start. The temps do gradually go up but that's what you're looking for. You can experiemnt, but an overheating cooker can be a frustrating problem. Best to control temp on the way up.

Paul

Hunter, I did the same thing as you did on your ribs. Did the MM for starting coals and couldn't get it over 200-210 at the lid. Took the stuff off and stirred the ash off the briquets and presto the temps came up and I was off and running.

Also, I used the minion method, lighting about 25 briquettes. It seemed like the temp crept up slowly, but i never felt like i was battling to cool the temp off. Should i have lit more briquettes in the beginning to get the fire going hotter and then slowed it down?

This is exactly what you want it to be doing. It is MUCH easier to control temps on the way up than trying to bring them down. Trust me, on that day that your smoker is running away into the 260+ range, you will long for the day it went slowly.

-Matt

Thanks for the tips guys, one last thing and then ill stop wasting your time asking dumb questions. Is it ok to cut the racks of ribs in half just so that they can lay on the grill more easily without touching the sides or will that compromise the tenderness, etc.

-Hunter

As long as they don't touch each other, you're okay. The areas where they're next to the lid may be a little more done but you can use some foil to help prevent them from drying out too much. You may want to invest in a pair of rib racks -- you can pick up some Char-broil racks for about $7 at Home Depot or Lowes. Or you can coil them up, stick a metal skewer thru 'em and do it that way. Either way is personal preference.

Hunter,

No dumb questions here.

Cutting racks in half is fine. My first rib smoke I did two racks on the top grate. The meat near the ends (especially the narrow end) dried out. Now, I know that is because the edges of the WSM are hotter than the center.

My last smoke I cut the racks in half and placed them on edge in a rib rack. Result: no dryness from being too close to the edge.

Some people roll and skewer racks to accomplish the same thing.

OrIs it ok to cut the racks of ribs in half just so that they can lay on the grill more easily without touching the sides or will that compromise the tenderness, etc.

-Hunter

The only acceptable reason to cut racks of ribs in half is to fit more ribs in the smoker....
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

(There are no dumb questions here...keep asking!!!)

I dont think you can have too many ribs on the smoker! ok, another dumb question since you guys are being so patient with my ignorance.... when you guys foil your ribs, what is your technique? I have done it in the oven before where the idea is to completely seal them in an airtight "envelope" of foil. Is that what im trying to do here? do i need to turn them over halfway through? I cant wait to try all this stuff again!

When foiling you want an air tight "envelope", but you want the foil pressed tightly around the ribs ... no air space.

When foiling, add some of whatever mop you are using. Some also add a bit more rub or brown sugar. Lots of possibilities.

I don't turn the foiled ribs ... they aren't in the foil very long and they are protected by the foil.

what types of rub do you guys recommend. I have been cooking for 22 years, but BBQ is an art unto itself, If someone could share a reliable dry rub I would be thrilled. My WSM is coming for my birthday in july. I must be reaching middle age, I am more excited about a smoker than I care to admit!

A good rub would be a nice start.
I appreciate the feedback. Also, we have a good size BBQ festival her in Tryon NC each June, anyone been?? Any recomendations as to who is coming and who can bbq?

Welcome to the board, Keith.

I make my own rubs, different ones for different meats and even different cuts of the same meat.
Some of my recipes (and those of others) are posted in the Rubs,Marinades...etc. section if you're interested in making your own. Many people here prefer to use commercially prepared rubs that are available locally or from on line sources.

thanks, I cant wait to start smoking.

I found the rubs, marinades sec. What a great site with all the pictures and before and afters. Rare on the net.

Can you comment on a brand you recommend. I looked the other day, there were is shortage of choices. Which type of wood do you prefer to smoke with? I live on a farm, we have oak trees coming out our #$*&@#$ so oak would be my choice.
I might have to ask for my WSM a little sooner. I need some ribs, like now!!

how long have you owned yours?

Back