First smoke of the year tonight....

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Back in buisness.... Going to do an 8 pound butt. Putting in on around midnight, using apple and cherry. Just went and got some Kingsford at Lowes. How do I know if it is the "New" Kingsford?
Windy as all get out, up here in Albany. Made a wind block. I hope it does the trick. Supposed to be in the low 20's overnight with 10 to 15 mph winds. This is the coldest that I've cooked at, do I need to make any adjustments? I don't have a water heater jacket or anything, if that helps with the suggestions....Take it easy

Worry more about the wind than the outside temps-- you may end up using a bit more fuel in the cold, but lots more if you don't deal with the wind. The new Kingsford is easily identified by the blurb about "SureFire Grooves" on the bag.

O.K....I got the old stuff (Original Kingsford). Maybe I should stock up. Just lit the chimney...I'll keep you posted on progress.

if you like briquettes, then stop whatever you are doing, get in your car and go directly back to lowes and buy every bag they have left. The new stuff isn't even worth buying in my opinion .

Heck, I'm tempted to drive to albany myself and get it.

About the cold weather. I smoked last night in about 15 degree weather. The only thing I do is start with more lit charcoal if doing the minion method. So, instead of about 15-20 lit coals that I'd use for warm nights, I use probably 30 or so. Then it won't take quite so long to get up to temp.

Also, since it is cold out, it's pretty easy to keep it at a lower temp. So, don't start closing down your vents until you are about 10 degrees from your target temp. When it is cold out, the smoker responds much more quickly to closing vents. But it takes a longer to get it hot again.

If it is windy, close the vent that is in the direction of the wind all the way.

I started with 20 lit briqs at 11:20 with %100 vents. I'm at holding at 225(lid) at 12:20. Have vents at 25,25,50. Was at all 25% just touched one open to 50% to get it up to 245(lid). Seems to be no wind effect.

You gotta love the WSM. Went to bed at 2:30am with the lid temp at 250. Woke up at 8:00am, lid temp 250. Vents at 25,25,00. Can't get any easier than that......

Just pulled it off. 18 hrs. 188-190. Meat just fell apart with a plastic fork. Came out delicious. First overnighter was a success. Had one mishap. Ran out of kingsford. Temp got down to 200. Had to run and get more, but no harm done....
smoke4large1df.jpg

Oh man, that looks great. Fantastic job with the butt.

First smoke of the season? I told my wife that I need to prepare for BBQ season which starts on March 1 so I needed 50 bucks. "But didn't you just BBQ a pork butt in January?" she asked. "Yes and February is the off season," I said.

I don't know if she bought it but I got my rubs restocked and new gloves plus handles for the WSM.

Back