First smoke, great success!

Andy_E

TVWBB Member
After doing a lot of research on smokers and bbq'ing I decided on a WSM and got it about a week ago. I've been reading tvwbb for weeks leading up to my first cook. I finally decided on doing boneless chicken breasts for my first run. Then I also decided to throw in a few ABT for good measure.

Turned out great! I used the recipe from this site which made them nice and juicy and had great smoke flavor.

I do have some questions though. I have my WSM on my deck. When transferring hot coals from my chimney to WSM, some small pieces got caught in the wind and fell onto my deck. This concerns me. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways to prevent this?

bbqchicken.jpg

Nice!

That's exactly how I do ABT's - halved but with a bit more bacon laid over the top, like the 3 on the left.

There are several types of grill mats or oil drip pans you could use to protect your deck. Check your local HomeDepot/Lowes or hardware store. Just move it periodically to let it dry out underneath.

When moving coals around, you could use a large metal dust pan underneath the chimney to catch anything that drops.

Andy,
How done was the bacon on the 3 on the left?
That's the way I'm gonna do my next batch.

Great lookin' cook, and a fine picture to boot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy_E:
After doing a lot of research on smokers and bbq'ing I decided on a WSM and got it about a week ago. I've been reading tvwbb for weeks leading up to my first cook. I finally decided on doing boneless chicken breasts for my first run. Then I also decided to throw in a few ABT for good measure.

Turned out great! I used the recipe from this site which made them nice and juicy and had great smoke flavor.

I do have some questions though. I have my WSM on my deck. When transferring hot coals from my chimney to WSM, some small pieces got caught in the wind and fell onto my deck. This concerns me. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways to prevent this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome, Andy! I fire up my chimney while it's sitting on my WSM's charcoal grate. When the coals are ready I just pick up the chimney enough to tilt and pour. The coals are never over the deck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Andy,
How done was the bacon on the 3 on the left?
That's the way I'm gonna do my next batch.

Great lookin' cook, and a fine picture to boot! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bacon was fine to my taste. I actually planned on wrapping them, but had too many jalapeños so I had to ration my bacon haha.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
I fire up my chimney while it's sitting on my WSM's charcoal grate. When the coals are ready I just pick up the chimney enough to tilt and pour. The coals are never over the deck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you do if your are using Minion method?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
how long do you smoke the peppers or what ever you guys call them ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they are called ABT (atomic buffalo turds) and I did mine for about an hour, which happened to be about how long the chicken needed.

Back