First Smoke: BRITU

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This was a walk in the park. I read a lot that said the WSM runs hot on the first smoke. I didn't have this problem. As soon as the ribs went on, the temp came down to 250, and held steady as a rock. The only problem I faced was getting the temp up during the last hour. So ribs at 4.5 hours at 250, and they were tasty.

Lessons Learned:

1. Fuel takes a while to fire up. I prepared the ribs before starting the fuel. Dumb move. Start fuel first.

2. Air vents are VERY hot. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Final product pic here:

BRITU Ribs

Actually, I always prep the ribs before lighting the fuel. As mentioned in another topic, I like to allow the ribs to absorb the rub and get tacky, which takes about (for my tastes) 2-3 hours.

Congrats on a successful first smoke.

I've done 4 or 5 sets of ribs since I got my WSM in December. Every time seemed like the best ever. I used to cook my ribs on a Weber kettle and now what a piece of cake to cook on the smoker. This last time I used the Minion method and it was even easier. I was able to get the ribs on faster and it was simple to keep the temps where I wanted. Cooked them with the BRITU rub which I applied the day before, wrapped them in Saran wrap and took them out of the frig about 1 1/2 hours before I put them on. I cooked them for about 3 1/2 hrs at 220-230 then turned and cooked at 275 for 2 more hrs. They were the best so far. On my first cook I found that the vents were HOT also. I haven't made that mistake again. Thanks for all the great info on this site. Sometimes I feel overloaded after reading the posts. I keep a note book by my computer to remember the important stuff.

I have not done BRITU yet, but the main reason I bought the WSM was for ribs. Yours look tasty /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif . I must try this soon, I have seen alot of good comments on this method. I put my rub on either the night before or at least 2 hours before smoking. Makes for a better bark IMO. I am so spoiled by this smoker I can not even think of going out to eat ribs. Some people have mentioned a "Hammy" taste if rub is on ribs too long, I have not noticed this.

I've tried leaving the BRITU on overnight - way too salty! I stick with the 2-3 hour mark. I'm with Jason on prepping the ribs, then lighting the coals (standard method). By the time the WSM's ready, the ribs have sat long enough.

The only other change I made to the BRITU cook is to keep the pit temps around 225 the entire smoke. I usually cook three racks of baby backs at a time for around 5 1/2 hours. A little less or a little more time depending on the thickness of the ribs. And I do brush on BBQ sauce about 30-45 minutes before I take them off. Just a light coating and they're perfect!

The salt content of the rub dictates the lenght of time you would apply before the cook. BRITU is too salty as mentioned to give more than a couple of hours.
I will fire up the pit and put the meat on at that time, it lenghtens the cook time you can expose the meat to smokering production.
Jim

Jim,
A question just popped in my mind. I have never used a rub with that much salt so I will be sure to follow your advise. Are there any other spices you have used that you also feel should not be left on overnight?

I also cooked BRITU ribs yesterday and it was my first smoke on my new WSM. I cut back a bit on the salt called for in the recipe and used Splenda sugar substitute. They came out perfect!
The only problem I had was that my Polder thermometer apparently was touching the meat which showed a lower temperature that what the cooker was actually cooking at. I should have opened the unit up to see why it was low. Instead a put a thermometer in the top vent that showed 250 degrees so I knew it was OK.
Love the WSM cooker!

PS - thanks to this forum and everyone on it for offering so much help that a first cook comes out perfect.

Hi I plan on doing the britu method tomorrow.
Instead of the sugar I plan on using splenda. I also leave out the msg. I don't like it. I have done the britu with regular sugar before, so after my cook i'll let you know how it came out. MMMmmmm I can't wait. LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi I'm going to do my first smoke today. I will give the BRITU a try. I already have the 3 slabs of BB ribs in the fridge. I have 2 questions: In the recipe it says to cut slabs in half, Is this a must? Also when only cooking one item like this , which grate do you use, the top or bottom?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Tom P

Tom,
You don't have to cut the rack in half, but I think it is easier to work with half racks verses full ones. Plus the rack is more centered in the WSM and away from the higher heat coming up the side of the cooker. Use the top grate if you are only going to use one grate. Good luck with your cook.

Bob

VARIATIONS:
- If you lower the ratio of salt you can use more rub. I generally like a lot of rub.
- Also, try coating the ribs with French's mustard before applying the rub sometime.
- Hickory is nice at times.
- More cayenne is nice.
- If you like lots of rub you can mist the ribs the last half hour of cooking then toss more rub on.
- After saucing ribs when they are done cook for a couple minutes to carmelize the sauce with teh cooking grate directly over the charcoal in the bottom of the WSM after removing the center section, alternately iuse a gas grill but hey why waste the nice fire you already have in the WSM.
- Try them with lots of rub and no sauce at all.
- One word: chipotle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back