First smoke behind me!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And the WSM behaved exactly how it should have, even to the point of running a bit hot the first time. I couldn't keep it under 265 degrees, but I just allowed for that with time adjustment. I do seem to have the same problem as Barry though. after shutting all vents, it took a long time for the fire to go out. It seems perfectly round to me, but what do I know? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I assumed that these things were not totally air tight... are they supposed to be???? I did have smoke coming from between the sections, but I assumed that it was normal.
All things considered, this smoker is awesome! can't wait to use it again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I assumed that these things were not totally air tight... are they supposed to be???? I did have smoke coming from between the sections, but I assumed that it was normal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe virtually airtight would be the better term. The most vulnerable part of the WSM for out-of-roundness is the bottom of the center section, and is, unfortunately, easy to overlook. The access door is another.

Usually, the only smoke you notice is fine wisps exiting the top vent, but-- if you have a lot of smoke wood catching at once-- you may see some from around the access door, from time to time. The only time I see smoke from between sections is if I have the probe thermo passing under the lid, but it's very negligible.

Interesting that you couldn't keep your WSM under 265. Even though mine was out of round a bit, only up until the very end was I not able to keep it below that number (I did adjust the top vent to 50% towards the end to keep it low).

When I started mine up using the Minion method, I had smoke coming out of the top vent and from below the lid, as I had a probe. Though mine were not fine wisps but a steady stream of smoke for awhile. I think that was because I put to much wood in the fire.

Geese, I hope I didn't get a lemon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Actually, I just assumed that while the coals and wood were heating up, there would be a lot of smoke (which there was) and it would come out anywhere it could. I fired up using the same technique used in the BRITU recipe (one lit chimney then one unlit chimney and wet wood.

Ken, was it a windy day? That could be a reason for not being able to get the temperature down during the cook and shut-down.

Dave

I just did my first smoke this weekend as well...(I am a newbie as well, what a blast this stuff is)

I didn't have the Temperatur problem ????.. I set the vents and it stayed at like 245 for hours...(used the Redi-check to measure temps)

I used the Minion Method... Filled the ring almost to the top with some buried hickory in there, then added 28 ashed over light birckettes to the heap and two or three little wood chunks touching the light coals. Assebled the smoker, added hot water to the pan and added my meat immediately. This worked AWESOME for me

Not sure about the shut down.. I closed my vents and really didn't check it till much later...

Happy smokin'
-Craig

Dave, yes, actually it was a bit breezy, and also my backyard is a southern exposure and it was a very sunny day, so I'm sure that had quite a bit to do with it. I won't know to what degree until I smoke on an overcast day I guess.

Craig, what did you cook and how many pieces of hickory did you put into the chamber amongst the charcoal?

Ken, I suspect it was from the windy conditions. I live close to the beach where its always windy to some degree and I experience the same problems. You can either learn to live with it our create a wind break like I do with my covered gas grill. Good luck

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back