first salmon smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ive got the cherry wood. Ive prepped the salmon. Questioon I have is should I or shouldn't I soak the wood chips. My last couple of smokes I used large chunks. This will be my first time using small chips. ALSO wondering How many coals should I place in the chimney and how many I should place in ring unlit. I have a charbroil chimney which I think is a little smaller than the weber chimney. Thanks again for all the info

Afternoon Kevin.
Soak the chips if putting on the coals or add them dry to a foil pouch and poke holes in it.
Amount of coals depends on how much fish you have and how well you want it cooked.
I did a 5lb fillet with one chimney lit and a couple of handfulls unlit. Smoked it at 180-200 for 4 hrs; but I like my salmon very moist, just to the point of flaking. IMHO, dry salmon is like eating cardboard. Good luck /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bob J have we ever met?

As for the chips the reason to soak is so the don't go up in flames. flames = low smoke. I prefer chunks or chips in a foil pouch or cast iron container. If you can find a small Lodge cast iron skillet with a lid that will work. Just drill a few holes in the lid. I'm not a fan of soaked chips.

HTH,

The salmon is on the grate. Let you know how it turns out. I soaked the chips. I will try to use some of the other suggestions later. Its 60 degrees in texas lovin life

Kevin,

It's 17 in Michigan with an additional 4 inches of snow today on top of the eight we got two days ago, it $ucks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Konrad, never met but looking forward to it. When/where's the next local event?

Bob
Pike Place market on the 15th of Feb. We will be there early but if your there from 10am on, it should be a good time.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back