First run with the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom W

TVWBB Member
I have been smoking for many years (meats, that is) and was looking for a newer smoker. I saw some show on TV where they used a WSM. I then stumbled upon this site and after some thought purchased a WSM through the Amazon link through this site. To help out Chris, because this is a GREAT website.

I smoked 2 racks of ribs using the BRITU recipe. It was very windy due to a storm on the east coast. I had to run the grill with all vents open 100% to maintain around a 210-degree temp more or less. I had a Maverick ET-73, which the smoker probe failed within the first minute. (Beginner?s luck) Fortunately I had a candy thermometer, which I used to monitor the top vent. I flipped the ribs after 3 hours & sauced them ? hour before I removed them from the grill. I do not like the bottled sauces available in my area so, I used a sauce recipe from Paul Kirks book ?Championship Barbecue Sauces?. The ribs came out Great!! They had a beautiful color and better than that they were tender and tasted great. Everyone who ate them said they couldn?t wait to have more. Needless to say I am Jonesing to make more. The Q?ing bug has hit big time.

I would like to thank everyone here at the site for helping with the wealth of information. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Tom

Tom, was it the "Boy Meets Grill" show? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You've come upon a great site which has a HUGE knowledge base, and really friendly experts who don't mind sharing. Chris has done a great service for WSM owners! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rob,
No it wasn't the "Boy Meets Grill" it was the one about a barbeque cookoff contest. A team won the pulled pork catagory while using the WSM. This was the first I ever heard of the WSM. I am sure glad I did. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That team was Mad Momma and the Kids. I recorded that show. One of my favorites. Watch it all the time. Thats a great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back