First run! Please proof read my inaugural schedule...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Sharpe

I finally got one for Christmas! It's sitting in the back room right now, looking very shiny. Can't wait to fix that
icon_smile.gif

So, after many hours of reading this site, and the hassles of locating the essentials here in the UK, I'm all set to go for my first Q tomorrow - back ribs. The only charcoal that I could find was Weber briqettes, and the only smoke wood Weber Mesquite chunks. I'll be monitoring the temperature through a cork in the top vent. The loin ribs came in to my butcher today frozen, so I've defrosted them (in a plastic bag) in a bowl of cold water. They're now sitting in the fridge waiting their fate...

As I figure it, my schedule is as follows (based around the Minion Method and Stogies ribs). I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise me anything I've missed...

cheers!
Sharpey

Tonight:
Defrost ribs (done)
Remove membrane
Sprinkle rub on ribs
Wrap in cling film
Put in fridge

Tomorrow

0:00
Light 30 briquettes in chimney
Line water pan with foil
Fill charcoal ring with unlit briquettes. Bury 2 chunks of smoke wood
Mix Stubbs BBQ sauce with honey (3:1)

0:30
Spread lit briquettes evenly across chamber
Fill water pan with hot tap water
Assemble cooker
All 3 bottom vents open; top vent open
When temp 200°F, bottom vents 25% open
Monitor temp every 15 mins. Aim for 240°F at the lid

Q clock starts!

Q+0:00
Put ribs on first
Bigger on top; smaller on bottom
Second: add 2 chunks of smoke wood on top of charcoal

Q+2:00
Baste ribs with apple juice

Q+3:00
Remove ribs from cooker
Place ribs on foil
Baste ribs with sauce
Wrap each rack of ribs tightly in foil
Ribs back in the smoker

Q+4:30
Remove ribs from foil
Mop ribs with sauce
Ribs back in smoker
Check water pan level

Q+5:00
Tear test/toothpick test
Take ribs off

I think that sound fine. You might not need a whole chamber full of charcoal for ribs...espically back ribs. On the long time you might be looking at 5 hrs or so. Perhaps half full or maybe 3/4's but that should be plenty!

I ususally put them on a rib rack and let um go for 3hrs, then foil for 45min to an hour and un-foil and then back on the smoker for and hour or so.

Remember, so people like a fall off the bone rib and some like a little stiffer rib. Depending on what is what, you leave the ribs in the foil longer for the fall off the bone effect. After un-foiling and putting it back on the WSM, it will stiffen the ribs back up again. It's all personal preference.

Have at it and GOOD LUCK! BTW, I try to keep my WSM arouns 235-240 for ribs!

Thanks for the advice, Greg!

You're right - I guess I probably won't need a full chamber - but for the sake of a few briquettes, I figured I'd stay on the side of caution and not run out of fuel on my first go!

Can't wait to get started tomorrow. May even post some photos of the fallout...

Sharpey

I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like you are planning on waiting for the cooker to get up to temp before adding the ribs. With Stogie's method & the MM, you should add the lit coals on top of the unlit (Greg is right - 2/3 ring should be plenty), and then assemble the cooker & put the meat on. I then shut the vents down partially when the lid temp reaches ~190*. I used to wait until 200* but sometimes had runaway temps.
It looks like you've planned well. You're going to love the ribs!

Jeff, I assumed he was assembling the WSM and then putting the ribs on right away! Which you should do Richard!! If you let it rise to 240 and then re-open it to add the ribs, you are gonna have a big fire on your hands!

Add lit over unlit, assemble and put the ribs on! That is the true MM!

Pics wouldn't be a bad thing either Richard!!

Well, here's my 2 cents.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Listen to what the others have just told you. But, you may want to back off a little on the number of lit coals. I generally do around 16, if it's really cold I'll do around 24. Get too many lit and it will be harder to control the themps.

Well spotted, Jeff!!

I've made so many adjustments to that schedule that some points had gotten slightly mixed up. And you just know that I'd have followed them to the letter tomorrow and had a furnace on my hands...

You're quite right. The modified part of the schedule now reads...

Q+0:00
Spread lit briquettes evenly across chamber
Fill water pan with hot tap water
Assemble cooker
All 3 bottom vents open; top vent open
Put ribs on FIRST
Bigger on top; smaller on bottom
SECOND: add 3 chunks of smoke wood on top of charcoal
When temp 190°F, bottom vents 25% open
Monitor temp every 15 mins. Aim for 240°F at the dome

cheers!
Sharpey

I would change 2 things. 1 longer time between checking 30 min, or at least don't make any vent ajustments in that time. 2. Don't sauce until the last 30 to 45 min.

Some folks find (me included!) that if you rub the ribs too early, they start to cure and develop a 'hammy' taste. Not that it's bad, just different. I now only rub my ribs RIGHT before they get cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back