First Ribs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
The fire is going, and the ribs are rubbed. I tried to include a photo link, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. So far so good though. The membrane came off each rack in one piece, and they have formed that "red liquid coat" mentioned in the BRITU recipe. I am waiting for the shoe to drop...even though all you experts have done the work, and laid out all the intstructions for cooking...can it be this easy? My kids dont understand, that as you get older, the toys just get cooler! I love this smoker!! If you want to try and look at a photo, here is the link? I think http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=62fa6a57-55c8-6dbf-6825-33ed76601471&size=lg

Here you go. Just use the image option when posting,and paste the url into the box.
LinkPhoto

You can add an image a little more elegantly in one of two ways:

To add a link to a pic, press the URL button under Instant UBB Code, type or paste the URL into the box, press OK, add a title or decription of the pic, press OK. You will then have a link in your post that will open a new browser window with your picture. This method can be preferable because it allows readers with low-bandwidth connections to choose whether they want to view a potentially large, slow-loading (for them) image.

To add a pic "inline", that is, so it displays in the body of your post, press the IMAGE button, add the URL of your image, press OK. It is helpful if you keep the physical dimensions of inline-posted images reasonable-- if they are wider than the average browser window, they will cause all subsequent follow-ups to that post to be formatted wider as well, making for difficult reading.

Well, the ribs came out "OK". I should have left them on longer, as they were not quite falling off the bone. I have never done ribs before, and all I really have to compare them with are the Costco Lloyds ribs...pretty sad huh, a sheltered life I have lived.
They went on the grill at 2:15 and came off at 6:15. I tugged at them...and maybe convinced my self they came apart easy. They had great flavor and were moist, just not that falling off the bone tender. Patience is a virtue that this smoker will surely teach me.

At BBQ temps-- within reason-- there is little danger of "over-cooking" ribs. You will come to find, with experience, the temp and time combo that produces the result you desire. I initially cooked spares 4.5 hours, and then came to realize that 5.5-6 hours rendered more fat out without compromising moistness. I have seen here those who would tell you to cook spares 8-9 hours, but I personally don't see the benefit of that much additional time.

For the babybacks pictured, another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes probably wouldn't have hurt.

Dennis,

There's a lot of info on this forum regarding the "3-2-1" method. It involves:

* Cooking the ribs for 3 hours normally.

* After 3 hours, spray ribs with apple juice and wrap 'em in foil and allow to cook for 2 hours.

* After the 2 hour foil, unwrap, baste with BBQ sauce and allow to cook for 1 more hour. HOWEVER, if the meat is very tender after the foiling, you can skip this extra hour and simply baste, allow the ribs to rest for an hour, then cut and serve. You can baste with more BBQ sauce after cutting too.

My ribs have really improved, since I adopted this method. Other folks have obtained great results without foiling.

Good Luck -Albert

Falling off the bone is NOT what you want if you want to eat the very best Q. If they are falling off the bone they are either TOO soft or overcooked. You should be able to bite into the rib and it will have just a little tug to it. In my experience with baby backs if you go 3 hours unfoiled then 2 hours foiled they will become nearly falling off the bone and sometimes TOO soft. My baby backs usually take anywhere from 4 1/2-5 1/2 hours and my spares take anywhere from 7-9 1/2 hours. I would suggest you try cooking your babys longer and see how you like them. Then I would have you cook the babys for 2 1/2 hours then 1 hour foiling then the last hour without foiling. My very best cooks have been without foiling as it gives the best texture. If you do foil DON'T over do it!

Agreed.

3-2-1, is merely a guideline ratio.

As you'all know, internal cooker temp, meat thickness and outside temperature temp will influence the temp and time requirements for a good cook. So adjusting cooking times is prudent.

Gotta play it by ear and judge what works best given how the cook is progressing.

-Albert /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff lowe:
[qb] my spares take anywhere from 7-9 1/2 hours [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>what temp are you cooking these things at and how big are they? Are they trimmed or whole slabs? I would think cooking spares over 7 hrs would dry them out but I could be wrong. Just curious.

I get a lot of my spares at costco and I just put the whole racks in chime bone and all. I dry rub them just before I put them in the smoker and use the minion method. I like to use the bottom rack if I only cook one rack. I cook them between 225-240. I do not foil nor baste usually and if I do I just use a little apple juice spritzed and only one time. I have never been able to go under 7 hours on a cook with many times going to 9. The ribs have always been juicy and not dried out. As others have said before there are so many factors that can determine the time needed for a cook, I have found that with MY smoker in MY area that this is what works, your results will certainly vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back