First Rib Smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ive bought the best ribs I can buy here in TExas. I am getting a little nervous. I want to have a great first rib smoke. I have smoked butts and salmon and both turned out great. Does anybody have ideas to make my smoke successful. Thanks for any info

Kevin

When I did my first ribs I followed Chris' guide in the cooking tips for BRITU. It worked like a champ. There are other rib recipes on that page too.

Bob

Kevin

Not really a too salty taste, but on the skirt meat it did have a bit of a "hammy" taste. As I understand it that is caused by too much salt or the rub being on too long. As I recall my rub was on for about 1.5 to 2 hrs. I probably will cut back on the salt because I'm not a big salt fan anyway.

Bob

Yeah I really do not like a salty taste at all. Thanks for the feedback.

What are the best ribs you can buy in Texas? I personally like baby backs in the small side which are hard to find.

I work at a high end retail grocery store in texas. We carry a baby back call berkshire pork ribs and they are beautifully trimmed. Lots of meat. I dont know if they are just sold to us or not. I am hoping they turn out well because I know this is the best baby backs money can buy. The store is just one of those places that has the freshest fish, beef, and pork. Must stop typing starting to slobber on self.

Kevin, I did the BRITUs this weekend. Since I also, like you, am not a big fan of salt, I used course Kosher salt. I had a bit of a hammy taste, which isn't bad, just hammy. I put my rub on 2 hrs before and left them at room temp. I also went slightly heavy on the rub. Next time I will cut back a little on the rub and put it on for no more than 1.5 hrs beforehand

KEVIN:

Would you mind sharing the name of the store? Perhaps you didn't notice that I live in Dallas. Is it Central Market perchance? Fantastic store if you've never been there, and if you are a high end grocer you must go check it out because you have no idea what you're missing. It's huge.

Anyway "best ribs you can buy in Texas" is a really strong statement that'd be hard to qualify unless you've sampled ribs from all the small farms here.

You may want to try the Sugarless Texas Sprinkle rub posted on this site. It is very good and not too salty. It is spicy though, so you may want to cut back on the cayenne pepper if you don't like your food too spicy.

IT is central market. Ive worked there for a year and thier produt is awsome. The ribs are prepped and ready. They will be going on in an hour.

I have sampled the berkshire ribs. They are made under strict guidlines. CM has them daily. Most of the peole that pass these guidlines have to be approved by strict standards and are small town farms. cant wait till dinner

There a little high they are running about 7.99 a lb. I they will be worth it after a slow cook. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

7.99 is a little high. I paid 3.99 a lb last week for BBs at the local Sams club and they were very meaty and good. But what do I know, you might have the best ribs ever cut off a hog! Good luck.
DP

I'm with jeffr on using kosher salt with BRITU. Did it last weekend, and they were neither salty nor hammy.

At $7.99 I'll try them once but doubt they could be twice as good as the $3.99 ribs. For $7.99 there's a lot of other stuff I'd rather eat, and in reality since half the weight of ribs is bone I could spend $15.99 on some really great steaks or lobster tails and get a similar yield.

Hmm, great ribs or lobster...

Hell, $7.99/lb ribs mean a single rack will cost $15-20 and feed one person. For $15-20 there's a lot better ways to feed one person in my opinion like a small filet mignon and a small lobster tail.

I must agree that 7.99lb is quite pricey! I'm not sure my palette could tell the difference!

Choices, opinions, and preferences are what its all about though.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back