First Q

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I finally got clear enough weather to use my WSM. I went with 2 slabs, six pounds, of St. Louis cut pork spare ribs from Whole Foods. I logged all of my steps along the way. I marinated the ribs overnight. While I didn't use the recipe, I refered to the Sugarless Texas Sprinkle post to set up and cook. Once I got the temp at about 240 I had to leave for an appointment for about an hour and a half. I called home to ask my son to give me temp reads and it held the 240 range until I got home. I used a combination of Pecan, Oak, and Alder wood. I used the recommended "turning at the halftimes" rule, but after the first turn the temp spiked to about 270 and I had to close the top vent for a short time to get the temp down. I paid too much attention to the details of the entire process and overlooked the finer details of what to look for for signs of ribs that had cooked enough. Even though I went to about 5-1/2 hours the ribs only turned out a little dry this time. I made some homemade bbq sauce to put on during the last 20 minutes or so. Like my wife said, "It's a work in process". Overall the ribs had a great smokey taste and where actually a litter better the next day reheated in the microwave. I don't where I would've been without this website. Thanks.

Hi Gary
I like to go for 3 hours + a bit more then wrap 'em in foil for an hour, then take the foil off and finish them. I find they get tender this way, almost falling of the bone, but not quite, and thet tend to stay really moist. Also, if you close the top vent you trap smoke near the meat, this is not a good idea. Use the bottom vents and the temp will come down in 5 minutes. The ribs can handle 270*F for quite a while, the foiling also helps in this respect.
I've also been called away from the BBQ for "important" things. I'll never do that with ribs again, it's too easy to mess em up. Pork butt, no problem, I'll leave em for 6 hours, but not ribs.

I'm sure you'll post back with round two.
icon_smile.gif

morgan

Why is it that ribs are ALWAYS better the next day? I've never eaten great ribs on Saturday that weren't even better on Sunday.

JW

Back