First Pulled Pork

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did my first pulled pork on the WSM yesterday, and it took a lot longer than I had anticipated. I had a boneless pork butt weighing about 8 lbs, and I used the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe. I started the WSM at 6:30 AM using the Minion method. I got to temperature about 7:20, and put the pork on at 7:30. I also put 2 chicken halves on as well. Everything went on the top grate. Except fro when I opened the top to turn and baste, the temperature stayed a very steady 250. I turned the pork for the first time at 12:30, which is when I took off the chicken. At 3:30, I turned it again and mopped it. Again, at 5. I inserted an old meat thermometer into the meat, and iut read 160. Since I wanted to go to 190, I put the lid back on. I checked and mopped every hour, using both the meat thermometer and an instant read thermometer. By 11 PM, I decided to take it off. I was tired, and forgot to measure with the instant read. At earlier readings, it was up into the 170s. I think my old meat thermometer is dead, and I will be getting a Polder. Does it seem reasonable that I would not have gotten to 180 to 190 in the 15.5 hours I smoked? Any and all thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. The pork did pull nicely, and it tasted delicious. We're going to have it tonight!

Ken

Ken, 2 hours per pound is normal for reaching pulled pork temps, at least in my experience. The last couple of times I cooked a load of 8-pounders it took me 16 hours. I cooked them overnight. I don't even attempt to start them in the morning if I want pulled pork for supper, unless they're small butts.

Steve

1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound is the norm for good pulled pork. Can't tell from your post but it sounded like you opened the lid to mop a lot. You will loose good cooking time by doing that. Try spraying your mop through the vent opening.
A polder is a great idea. That way you can monitor your temp with the lid on. I use one in the meat and one at the cooking grate (stuck through a cork) to make sure my temps are right.
Steve's on the right track - anything over 5 pounds I do an overnight cook (that's one of the things I love about the WSM). You can start it late at night and get your temps stable then make sure your water pan is full and just forget it. Nothing like pulled pork stuffed between a fluffy biscuit in the morning.....

Happy Q'n

The last time I did pulled pork I had a boned butt that weighed over eight pounds - I did a mustard rub. I used a Polder with two probes, one for the butt and one for the potato. I did not open the lid until about one hour before done (just to look) - done in record time, less than one hour per pound. Don't open that lid!. What did you use for a finishing sauce?.

"May the smoke be with you",
Fellow Jersea boy - Steve

[This message has been edited by NJ Steve (edited 08-20-2001).]

One other thing to keep in mind, mopping in and of itself will increase your cooking time. When you factor in the heat loss from having the lid off, you increase your times a bunch. When you mop you cool the meat when the liquid evaporates. This can be a good thing, as it keeps the outside from cooking too fast, but you don't want to over do it.

Sounds like it came out ok.

Doug W.

Ken,

I just wanted to add that I did not use the Minion method. I lit a chimney and let that get real hot then I dumped that in the WSM and filled the ring with more Kingsford and when that started turning white I assembled the unit (no water in the pan). I was running a consistent 257 degrees.

Steve

Thanks to all for the replies. I guess I did take the lid off too much. Next time I think I'll also use a samller piece of meat, or cook overnight as suggested.

I used a finishing sauce made with bourbon, onion, cider vinegar and sugar. I'll post the recipe for it later, when I have it in front of me. It was quite tasty!

Ken

I always count on 2 hours per pound for butt and brisket. using a range of 1 1/2 - 2 hours is a big range--up to four hours for your 8 lb butt.

also, as for mopping, etc, I never look before half way point--and I always plan my looks so I get everything ready, do my look, mop, spray, etc real fast.

One tip. If I am cooking on more than one smoker at a time, I put the lid on top of the other smoker. Keeps it warmer, actually fills it with warm air and, if you are careful to keep it level while moving it, that warm air stays with the lid. Not a big difference, but, it all helps.

Also, the polder, or remote therms are the way to go. lifting a lid to check temp is like waking you up to give you a sleeping pill.

Dale
The Algonquin smoker

As promised, here's the finishing sauce recipe I used. This comes out of the Better Homes and Gardens New Grilling Cookbook, which I highly recommend. I've tried a lot of the recipes in this book, and I have not been disappointed once. This comes out of the section on smoke cooking.

8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bourbon (I used Maker's Mark)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS brown sugar (I used Turbinado)
1/4 tsp balck pepper
dash of hot sauce

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Excellent.

Enjoy!

Ken

Hi Ken,

I tried the bourbon sauce last weekend. You're right - it's excellent and it complemented my pulled pork better than the other 4 sauces I tried.

I simmered it just a bit longer in order to soften the onions, then pureed it in a blender. We liked the subtle, rather than in-your-face bourbon flavor. Definitely a keeper!

Thanks for sharing,]
Rita

Ken:

I am a little too impatient to wait 15hrs for butt so I have changed my game a little and found a nice side benefit as a result.

If you want 8lbs of butt, try buying two smaller roasts like sholder blade or boston butt (not the picnic). They will cook in almost 1/2 the time. The added benefit that I love is that you have nearly 2x as much surface area which means nearly 2x as much brown in your finished product
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back