First Pork Smoke

Gary R Miller

TVWBB Super Fan
Its 10 am and I have started my first smoke of pork. I purchased a Pork Sirloin Roast yesturday for $1.29 a LB. Figure that would be a good practice run.
I am useing a Great Outdoors Big Block Smoker. Currently temp is running at 240 up and down a few degrees with the wind.
The roast turned out to be 2 2.5 lbs a piece instead of 1 whole roast. Hopeing for a 5 hour a cook. Going to add Sweet Corn and Potatoes towards the last hour I estimate. Going to foil 1 I think and leave the other unfoiled.
For a Rub I am trying Bad Bryrons Butt Rub I finally located on vaction trip to the North in a town call Graying at a Jerky Shop.
I am useing a Polder Meat thermometer comparing
my smoker temp to the Polder. So far they are pretty much even.
For wood I am useing a hickory shredded wood I get from a local a smoke house at $12 a 40lb bag.
I have taken pics at every stage at hope to post them later today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Gary,

Where is Elk Township located?

Good luck with your cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HERE
icon_rolleyes.gif
Good luck with the cook Gary.
icon_smile.gif

Elk Twp is just west of Lexington and North of Port Huron in the thumb. Actually I live in a small village called Peck.
Its been 2 hours now and the smoker has been holding a good temp and internal temp of meat is at 137. Just spritzed the meat with some apple juice and getting ready to reload the chip box for a another couple hours of smoke.
Taking off to pick some sweet corn so I can get it fresh. Baste with some EVOO and sea salt for about an hour see what how it turns out. Got my slaw done and sent momma with the son to get some good old fashion bakery buns for the pork.
Bruce I about an hours drive from Utica staright up Van Dyke to Peck Road turn right till you head Peck.
Sons going to do the pics for me hope to have them up before he has to go to work.

Put sweet corn and potatoes on 5p.m. meat was at 167 so I foiled. Its 5:45 now and meat at 194 and getting ready so rest. Getting worried neighbors are out at there picnic tables with table settings but no food and keep waving to me. MUST RESIST THERE looks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Miller:
Put sweet corn and potatoes on 5p.m. meat was at 167 so I foiled. Its 5:45 now and meat at 194 and getting ready so rest. Getting worried neighbors are out at there picnic tables with table settings but no food and keep waving to me. MUST RESIST THERE looks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a bit late on replying to this topic, so my advice is somewhat pointless for this particular cook.
In my experience, pork sirloin roasts are usually rather lean, and do not benefit from low and slow cooking, or being taken to a high internal temp. I certainly hope that your cook came out well, but I would suggest cooking pork sirloin at a higher temp, and removing at 145-150 internal temp. As a lean cut, it is quite easy to overcook and dry out. Pork sirloin is not a pulled pork kind of cut. But, I may be wrong; it happened before- once.
icon_wink.gif

Jim
--

Yes James you are exactly right. Much to my disappointment but my dinner guests still enjoyed there meal. I was the only disappointed one. I pulled 1 and sliced the other. Corn and potatoes came excellent. Corn took about an hour and was extra sweet compared to what my wifed boiled on the stove. But I did have a special guest show up and will have pics posted shortly.
I did Pork tenderloins awhile back on 350 heat and these was as moist as can be. So back to the store tomorrow and get another loin but this time I will add it to some venison to make Venison Bratwurst.

The sliced roast looks grteat. But it sounds to me that you need to pick up a nice bome-in butt to cook low and slow for smoe gool ole BBQ.

Al

Back