First Pork Butt Today...

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to the hunting camp so i purchased a 7.25 lb butt from publix, already trimmed down. Wanted to put it on the electric at camp, but ended up coming home a day early and didn't get to cook it. At home, I have the Brinkman charcoal and knew such a long cook would be a big problem on that unit (still haven't bought the WSM, but i will). Anyway, I figured out how to make the brinkman charcoal into a gas unit. I put the brinkman on top of a very low standing gas fryer. It sat on top nicely, very stable and well balanced. I added the water and the meat at 6:45 this morning and hit 195 degrees by 5:15pm (10.5 hours). At little quicker than i expected but my grate heat was 250 degrees the whole time. Couldn't really get it lower without the flame going out. Anyway, the meat looks terrific and is very juicy. I am letting it rest before pulling, so i don't know how good it is yet.

Now that i cut into the meat, I would say I did not use enough hickory to create the desired smoke flavor, but the meat itself was exceptionally tender and juicy. It was really terrific. The meat pull off the bone effortlessly.

thanks for all the great tips provided by this site and its members.

Back