First Pork Butt - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris B

TVWBB Member
I've read through out the site that I should count on about 1.5 to 2 hrs/lb at 250. I purchased a Pork Butt last night which was only 4 lbs., so should this ratio hold true on such a small butt? Everywhere I've read it seems as though people are purchasing 7 to 9 lb butts. I really question the ratio because I've been cooking my spare ribs for 6 hours, which would be the low end of this butt. Any help/advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You know some of my longest per pound cooks have been with smaller butts, but generally the ratio should remain the same. However, I've never had a butt finish in less than 2 hours/pound. I don't know where the 1.5 hours/pound ratio came from but it has never happened to me. My butts all consistently average 2.5 hours/pound. So for a 4 pound butt, "I" would plan on 10 hours total cook.

Yah, mine is almost always closer to 2 hrs/lb. as well, and that's with rarely opening the WSM (if ever)...I don't take it out until it hits close to 195.

Count on 8-10 hours for a 4 pounder. If you do it overnite, it's no big deal.

I just bought four 6+ lb. butts at Sam's (man, what happened to the prices, sheesh $1.42), gonna put them on around 9 or 10pm and should be totally done by noon tomorrow.

Thank you for that help. I'll plan for the 2.5 hrs/lb. and let you know how it comes it out. Thanks again.

Chris.....

You really have to watch your time with these smaller butts. The connective tissue and fat still need to render and that takes time....no matter what the size.

I think planning on 2 1/2 hrs/lb is a wise decision. I would even add a few hours...after all......it is much easier to hold than to hurry!

hi there everyone - thanks so much for the wonderful posts. i'm a first timer today, and will cook a pork butt and some game hens together 9Obviously the hens shorter). i read that hen skin comes out crisper w/o the water thing-y. can one cook the pork butt w/o it, too, or am i better off just using it? thanks loads in advance. love you guys. lisa

You will probably not get cripsy skin on poultry in the WSM, water in the pan or no. The main reason for leaving the pan dry is to achieve a higher cooking temp for poultry-- something you definitely don't want for a pork butt. I might suggest trying-- while using water in the pan to keep the temps in the low range for the butt-- putting the game hens near the edges of the grates, where they will be subject to the higher heat coming up around the edges of the pan. Sort of a semi-direct heating, you might say.

thanks, doug! i'll try that. i just put on the butt /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and i gather it won't be done till around 10:30 pm (3.5lbs). the hens (6), i'm estimating around 3.5 hours? they're around 1.5 lbs each. does that sound right to you? thanks again. lisa

I think both will be done in shorter times than you estimate. As always-- go by your thermometer, not time alone. Rotate the hens so they cook evenly, and I would do some initial checking as early as two hours in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back