First Pork butt on WSM pictures

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
This was my first pork butt on my WSM 16hrs 23min. The butt stayed at 163 for like 2-3 hrs before it started to move again is this normal? I used a brine for 12 hrs the day before and then injected the meat. I used penzeys Americas BBQ rub and Apple and Hickory chunks. The meat was so tender and juciy I had a smile from ear to ear thanks for all the boards input over the past few weeks I have learned a ton.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=bjqu4di.65uvq5q2&Uy=zfykta&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Yep, you want a big plateau in the 160's as that's when the fat is rendering and the connective tissue is softening and releasing water to tenderize the meat...!

Hey, nice pics! Good job.

Those photos make me miss my missing maverick (sniff sniff). Looked almost like ransom photos...

Rick

Congratulations on your first butt cook. Pictures look great.

Yes, it is normal for the meat to get stuck for several hours around 160. This is the "plateau" where the fat is rendering and the connective tissue is breaking down. Drove me crazy the first butt or two, cause the meat just STOPPED and I was ON A SCHEDULE! Used the oven! Then I learned from this board.

Yeah Buddie, Looks great. It only gets better this obsesion of ours, i mean hobby.
icon_biggrin.gif

You know, I've still got some frozen but those pics make me want to go smoke some more!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Good Job!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">" when i die i'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm thinking 'obsession' fits.
icon_biggrin.gif

Butt looks great, Rick. Good show.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">" when i die i'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm thinking 'obsession' fits.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! I remember why Bryan changed his sig to that ~ He's a hoot!!
icon_wink.gif

Yes I did use his brine I think it helped alot I let it sit for 12 hours in a cooler. I injectied with worshester, cyder vineger, water, sugar, and rub.

Kevin said above, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Butt looks great, Rick. Good show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only on a BBQ list can that be said so nonchalently!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry - couldn't resist!

Hugs to Kevin to make up for being a smarty-pants -
Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Rick is using a Maverick ET-73 if you do a search on that you should find lots of info.

IMHO however I own an ET-73 but just recently bought an NU-701 by nu-temp and I think it is a more versatile and also superior unit.

That is just my opinion, but you can do a search on that as well and find lots of info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Tucker:
Rick is using a Maverick ET-73 if you do a search on that you should find lots of info.

IMHO however I own an ET-73 but just recently bought an NU-701 by nu-temp and I think it is a more versatile and also superior unit.

That is just my opinion, but you can do a search on that as well and find lots of info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's my opinion also. I've been using the NU-701's now for 3 years and never had an issue with them.
icon_wink.gif

What is the link for the NU-701 However I have not had any problems with the ET-73. I also have just mounted the BQ300 in black on the lid it looks sweet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
What is the link for the NU-701 However I have not had any problems with the ET-73. I also have just mounted the BQ300 in black on the lid it looks sweet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here you go. All you have to do is click me.

Maybe a dumb question but is the NU-701 a dual probe remote thermometer like the et-73? or is it only the one probe that is shown in link?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shawn244:
Maybe a dumb question but is the NU-701 a dual probe remote a dual probe remote thermometer like the et-73? or is only the one probe that is shown in link? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shawn, No it's a single probe thermo.

Back