First overnight smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

After 3 years of smoking on the WSM, I'm going for my first overnight smoke.

Smoking a butt, 7 lbs...low...around 225...hoping it will take a looooong time since I have to do some moving in the morning. Went on about midnight. Have the Maverick hooked up to monitor and hopefully wake me up if things get out of whack. Shooting for 200* to pull.

Wish me luck.

Should go well. All you needed was 1 or 2 more to go with it. I seldom smoke only 1 since the effort and supplies remain about the same for several. Of course, a Foodsaver and freezer do help.

Shouldn't have a problem with your time. My guess is you'll finish between 1 and 4 or maybe 5 today. They're done when they'r done and butts are not always predictable.

Good luck to 'ya.

Paul

All went well through the night. It's been about 8 hours, smoker was at 235 when I went to bed, 253 when I got up. Meat is at 170. Added water to the Brinkmann pan and It's off to do some moving.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Wow, good for you I am still very nervous about overnight cooking; my wife thinks I'll burn the deck then the house.

Right now I am sticking to ribs (no pun intended), brisket, chicken and pulled pork. Having only been doing this for less then a year I am nowhere near being in the league that most of those folks on here are at. One day down the road, maybe, but definitely not now.

Good luck with the overnighter and keep an extinguisher handy
icon_smile.gif

I threw on 24 lbs of butt last night at 8. This is the most I've done but I guess if you've smoked them before the quanity doesn't realy matter.

Time Temp
8:00pm 200
9:00 223
10:00 219
11:00 222
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
4:00am 197 knocked some ash off the coals after lifting center section w/ racks of meat. Added coals.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
8:00 216
9:00 235 breeze is picking up.

Went with BRITU rub. All 3 vents have been open 30% since 9pm. At 9am I closed two vents and have the down wind vent about 50%.

I am hoping to get this done before the weather causes me some grief. 63 and sunny now but the are calling for: scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. Some of the storms may become severe. Warm. High 83F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%. (thanks weather.com)

I have pics but am not sure how to post. I guess I may have to do an online photo account and link it from there. Any other ideas please let me know.

Ben, if you've smoked brisket than you should have no problem with a butt. At least thats what I gather from others on the board. I have yet to try one. It will be soon though.

The butt came out great. 15 1/2 hours of virtually unattended cooking due to moving furniture. Only stirred the coals once at about 14 hours. Rested for 2 hours and then pulled.

Was almost too tired to eat it after being up late getting it going, and moving while being sick.
icon_frown.gif

Thanks to this great board for all the excellent information.

Back