First overnight cook

Jim McMaster

Wow...this went way better than my expectations. Started 2 boneless butt's at about 5:30 on Friday (in the pouring rain). I rigged up a little tarp over the top so the downpours wouldn't affect the cook. It took about 2 hours to get up to 250 and from there it just cruised. Topped off the water pan at around midnight and then went to bed. Woke up at 6:30 & went out in the rain to check on it...hoping for the best. Temp was still at 250 and both butts were at 198-201. I'll definitely be doing an overnight again. Turned out delicious (wife said best to date). We were supposed to bring it to a picnic...however due to the rain it was cancelled. So we packed a bunch of it up and gave it out to our family members. Many thank yous came in later that night. Thanks to everyone who posts on here for making it so easy .

I also did my first overnight on Friday. I heard the heavy rain around 2-3:00 a.m. but it didn't seem to affect my cook. I am planning on doing 2 butts or picnics next Saturday night for my July 4th cookout on Sunday.

Jim & Steve,

Congrats on your first overnight cook. I just completed my second overnighter on Father's Day weekend. Made a pork butt (18+hours) and brought it over to my parents for dinner. Parents made me leave the left overs so they could enjoy it for the rest of the week.

Back