First overnight cook a success!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I decided to try my first overnight cook for a Memorial day BBQ. Made 2 Mr. Brown butts which turned out fantastic. This was my 5th smoke and the first time I tried pork butt. Used the Minion method with the new Kingsford. I was a little concerned about the temp because it stayed up around 275 for several hours. Didn't seem to hurt the butts at all though, they were very moist and a big hit at the party. Thanks to everyone for all the good advice here.

Josh

Hey there fellow Pa. smoker. Don't let 275 scare you. I have done more than a few butts at that temp with good results. I do like to see the temp hang a little in the 160-165 range for a while, but it all comes out well. I actually thought the butts that I did at 220 were on the dryer side, but they may not have been good butts.
Where is Spring city?

Bob,

Spring City is close to Phoenixville and Valley Forge. I worked at Armstrong in Lancaster for about 3 years, which was a little over an hour commute.

Josh

Were you part of the Armstrong "clearing house" where they got rid of everyone so the CEO could get the big bonus?? Seems to be happening at a LOT of Companies any more. Place I work for is doing that now. Cutting back on all the little people on the floor that make the money so they can get the $$$ and run us into the ground, then leave with their millions. Got to love the big wigs lol.

Bob,

I know what you mean. I wasn't directly effected but lots of my friends were. Fortunately, I saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship when I found a good opportunity closer to home. Now with the short commute I have 1 1/2 extra hours per day to do important things like smoking.

Josh

Josh,
I did my first overnight smoke last weekend w/ a 7 3/4 lb Brisket. Turned out great. This weekend and doing a Boston Butt and a leg of lamb.
BTW Big Knopfler fan here

Glad to here it went well! I think I will try a brisket for the next overnighter. Good luck on the Butt and Lamb.

Just got the new album last week and looking forward to the tour.

Josh

Back