first overnight butts

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well first overnighter has started. They went on about 830pm. Did two butts with mustard and rub recipe hope they turn out. They are about 18lbs with bone in. Wish me luck. Ps the brisket I did in my last cook turned out well had to finish it in a oven though oh well.

Butts on a woman are great to look at but pork butts rock......my favorite way to date is mustard and whatever rub floats your boat....I lean more towards the spicy side. The hotter the better. I really just end up using a homemade blend of dried crushed peppers, salt, white pepper, garlic powder (LOTS of it), and fenugreek (mediterranean spice) and my favorite hungarian paprika (hot). Usually I do one butt really hot and one mild for my kids and guests who can't take the heat.

"SO slap that BUTT and put it on the smoker"

Kevin,

You'll love the Butt. More people in Texas need to try it. It's been bout 50/50 with people from the Lone Star who I have introduced to Butt that prefer it to brisket. Guess sum people can't get above their raisin'.

I remember when I first started on this Forum, I got all jazzed up about mustard. I put it to a taste test. One butt with mustard, one without. No one could taste the mustard, but most preferred the one withot mustard as the finished product.

Your results might be different. Next time, for grins, try one with and one without and put it to a taste test.

Mike

butts are Running at 175. Last night checked temp about 300. Grill Temp had dropped to about 190 stirred coals didnt go up to 200 until about 400 am. Hope next overnighter I get more sleep. I know it will be good though. This is my secong time doing butts. Last time finished in oven. Hope I can tast the difference. Thanks for the reply.

Kevin

You may need to consider adding some more coals if you haven't done so. Your temps were getting pretty low. I guess you're saying the butts are at 175. If that's correct you could have a while to go. It could easily take 16 hrs and that would take you into the afternoon.

I do a fair number of overnights and have found using sand is easier to maintain my temps and lets me sleep through. However, that's another subject and many have difficulties with the sand.

Good luck.

Paul

I added about 20 coals at 745 am. I am around 180 now I think I will have enough juice to finish em off. Thanks for the reply. PS They look really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back