First over night cook

ChrisPM

TVWBB Fan
I promised to cook the meat for a graduation party today for 50 people at 1:00pm so I decided to do my first overnight cook. I got the WSM going at 8:30 and added 40lbs of rubbed butts at 9:30. Everything was going well at 240 degF until about 2am when a severe thunderstorm went through and dropped the temp to 180. The storm dropped enough rain that the bottom of the WSM filled with about 3" of water! So standing out on the deck in the rain and lightning with a flashlight in my mouth because the power went out, I opened all the bottom vents to 100% and made a makeshift windbreak from a piece of plywood. With in 30 min the temp was back up to 235 and I finally felt safe to fall asleep. When I woke up this morning I looked over to my redicheck and the temp was cruising along at 230 to my relief. They are not quite done yet, but I'm sure they will be good after going through all that!

Butts are bulletproof.

If you survived it, they will too.
icon_wink.gif

Well, everthing turned out great! Thank goodness that butts are bulletproof as Travis points out. Just getting home from the party with a good three pounds of leftovers for myself.
icon_smile.gif
Lots of compliments on the meat which is why I do this in the first place. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow.
Just the beginning
Ready to pull
Finshed product

Back