First Meatloaf W/Pictures

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
My first meatloaf I used the recipe on this site only thing is I was out of saltines so I crushed oyster crakers LOL. Anyway the flavor was awsome. I cooked my chicken at 250 for 3 hours before I put the loaf on. I took the chicken off and foiled it then kicked the pit up to 322 for 2 hours 15 minutes for the loaf. I sauced and threw the chicken back on the last 20 minutes.
Smoke wood was one chunk of Cherry
Water in the pan.
Royal Oak Lump
cooked loaf to 170 internal
Used 1 pound ground venison, 2lbs ground beef.
I also made the sauce suggestion for this recipe. I highly reccomed this to anyone for a quick dinner.
Meatloaf

Rick, did a meatloaf this weekend also. I only took it up to 160. Maybe that's why it didn't hold together well. The inside looked done but it was kind of falling apart

Paul-

What type of meat (s) did you use? I also mixed in a large bowl with my hands until it was like paste. And I put it on right out of the refridge so there would be a nice somoke ring.

Thanks for the comment Kruger!!

Rick

Rick, used straight beef on this one cause I forgot to buy sausage. I may have had too much liquid in the loaf. I used a electric chopper to do the peppers and onions. May have pureed them instead of just chopping them up. Also put in a cup of olives with pimentos. I mixed it the same way but after getting all the ingredients in it the loaf still didn't feel firm. Well, I'll try again till I get it right.
icon_wink.gif

I did this meatloaf last week. It always turns out great. You can use different meats for it. It is from bbqbob:

Venison Meatloaf Roll-up!

Meatloaf:
2 1/2 lbs. ground venison
1/2-3/4 lbs. ground pork
1 roll Ritz (brand) crackers, crushed
1 med. onion, chopped
1 med. green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/12 Tbls. Lowery's Season Salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. cumin (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. allspice (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
cayenne pepper to taste if you want some heat
3-4 cloves minced garlic
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb. swiss cheese, sliced
1/2- 1 cup dried porcin mushrooms rehydrated in about 1 cup of port wine and drained, or about 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms sliced thin

Topping:
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained
about 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup

Cooking instructions:

Mix 1st 12 ingredients (meat - eggs) in a large bowl, place meat mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap and press meat into a 1 inch thick rectangular shape. Cover with slices of swiss cheese and top with mushrooms. Roll-up jelly roll style and place seam side down on a cookie sheet or a foil pan tucking under edges so cheese won't leak out. Either bake in 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes or put foil pan on grill or in higher temped smoker until internal temp is about 150 degrees (about an hour give or take). Mix pineapple and chili sauce or ketchup and spread on top and sides the last 20 minutes of cooking.

Great with garlic mashed potatoes or twice baked potatoes and grilled corn on the cob!

I have also placed meatloaf on a rack in pan to raise out of pan dripping to help bottom brown up a bit.

I hope you enjoy it!

bbqBob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Rick, used straight beef on this one cause I forgot to buy sausage. I may have had too much liquid in the loaf. I used a electric chopper to do the peppers and onions. May have pureed them instead of just chopping them up. Also put in a cup of olives with pimentos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's good to use a couple meats--beef plus pork or sausage or venison--so that you don't end up with flavored hamburger but the big deal 'loaf'-wise is the binders. Something needs to absorb the fat and juices or the spaces left during rendering can cause a too-soft, crumbly, or fall-apart loaf. Additional moisture requires additional binders. If you use the processor for the aromatics and they get a bit too finely minced deposit them en masse on several thicknesses of paper towel, wrap the towel around the vegs and squeeze well holding it over the sink. You can do this with the olives too, if necessary. Excess moisture will absorb into the paper towels (and/or be expelled through the towels into the sink). You'll still get the flavor(s) but without all the moisture. Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Rick, used straight beef on this one cause I forgot to buy sausage. I may have had too much liquid in the loaf. I used a electric chopper to do the peppers and onions. May have pureed them instead of just chopping them up. Also put in a cup of olives with pimentos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's good to use a couple meats--beef plus pork or sausage or venison--so that you don't end up with flavored hamburger but the big deal 'loaf'-wise is the binders. Something needs to absorb the fat and juices or the spaces left during rendering can cause a too-soft, crumbly, or fall-apart loaf. Additional moisture requires additional binders. If you use the processor for the aromatics and they get a bit too finely minced deposit them en masse on several thicknesses of paper towel, wrap the towel around the vegs and squeeze well holding it over the sink. You can do this with the olives too, if necessary. Excess moisture will absorb into the paper towels (and/or be expelled through the towels into the sink). You'll still get the flavor(s) but without all the moisture. Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been experimenting lately, with good success, using dry minced onions as a "binder" in addition to the usual bread or cracker crumbs. Not only do they add the onion flavor, but they soak up a LOT of moisture.

JimT

Yes--and they can be a good idea as you've discovered. Minced garlic is available dried and minced shallots are too. Bell pepper is available dried but--to me--something gets lost in the translation, particularly with the green. Any or all are good options to increase binding potential (as well as add their flavors).

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try these and see how it turns out. I still get to eat all those "mistakes". My family ,at this point, is not complaining.
icon_smile.gif

Paul I did Alton Browns meatloaf couple of weeks back. That was the best I had done to date. There was no leftovers so next time I am doing 2 loafs. A couple of threads in here have made mention to it but I short on time to locate for you. It is worth the time to look at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Just wondered if any of you have ever tried useing oats instead or with crackers in meatloaves. I have and it works well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use oats and like them.

Back