First Meat loaf

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Decided to try a meatloaf this weekend. Went out and bought a stainless steel fryer basket from Lowes($16). Cut off the handle and removed the top and VOILA a basket for smoking my meatloaf.This allowed the smoke to go all around whole meat loaf.Used one of the recipes from this site,got the smoker going with apple and cherry wood. Had to keep the vents open a little wider than I normally do but I thought it was because I used charcoal from a previous smoke and they had been stored outside. Put it on around 9:30am and was done sometime after 1 PM. Smoked at between 225 and 230 at the grate. Everyone seemd to enjoy it even the little ones. Would definitely do again. The basket worked out real nice. Used a spatula for removing the loaf from ther basket

Plan on doing my first one either Tuesday or Wed. How many pounds was your loaf? I'm probably just doing a 2 pounder.

I've done several meat loaves over the past year using my wife's time-honored recipe. Meat loaf has to be one of the most under-rated cooks one can do on the WSM. Truly outstanding each and every time !!! .....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Robert Fox:
I've done several meat loaves over the past year using my wife's time-honored recipe. Meat loaf has to be one of the most under-rated cooks one can do on the WSM. Truly outstanding each and every time !!! .....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Don't keep us waiting, how does She make it?
icon_biggrin.gif

Saw an eposide of Good Eats this week with Alton Brown on meat loaf. He uses a loaf pan only for molding the meat loaf, then he turned it upside down and removed the loaf pan. He stuck in the oven on a sheet pan, got me thinking about doing it the same way but into the WSM. Should allow the smoke flavor to get into all sides of the meat loaf.

Vic

I've been packing the meat mixture into a loaf pan and unmolding the meatloaf to smoke it for a long time. It's an easy and quick way to get it into a nice shape. I do round off the edges a bit for appearance. See:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6880069052/m/5820030103

The recipe is long, but very detailed for newbies. I've made that meatloaf 3 or 4 times now for 30 to 45 people each time and it is always very well received. I've been asked to make it again in October. The perforated pizza pan lets the excess juices drip off well.

Rita

I just turn my meat onto a sheet pan and form into a loaf not much thicker than a brisket flat. I like to have more surface area for smoke.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I got even more on my last cook. Smoke ring that is. I went into the dollar store and found a round cooling rack. It is real flimsy and small steel. But for the price it sits nicely in the round pizza pan to catch the grease and holds it up for more smoke. The smoke ring on the bottom isn't as deep on the bottom but I like to have it out of the grease.

You know you can cook a meatloaf without a pan or metal sheet. Just put the loaf on a piece of parchment paper cut to the size of the laof. The grease will drip right down into the water pan and the bottom of the loaf will get a smoke ring right thru the paper.

Griff

Darn it, Griff! I had a really sweet and technical setup for meatloaf and now you've gone and taken it to its lowest common denominator. I'll try this on my next big meatloaf cook (four 3-pounders) in October, or maybe even sooner.

Thanks for the tip!
Rita

Rita - I got the tip from this site to use parchment a while ago (probably from Griff!) and it works great. It makes for easier cleanup too...

Back