First Go-Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Chopp

I am a happy man. The Bullet arrived on Monday, just fired it up for the first time at noon today! Threw one a couple slabs of baby backs, nothing fancy, just some rub and BBQ sauce when they are done. I will have to try the BRITU's next. The temperature is staying pretty steady at 230 with the vents %75 open. While reading this site, I thought it would run really hot for the first time, but it doesnt seem to be. Any ideas why? Even with a steady wind, it doesnt seem to be running 50 degrees hotter like this site says it should.

Overall, this whole process is very easy...and fun! What beats smoking, drinking beer, and watching October baseball on a lazy Saturday afternoon?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Chopp:
[qb] While reading this site, I thought it would run really hot for the first time, but it doesnt seem to be. Any ideas why? Even with a steady wind, it doesnt seem to be running 50 degrees hotter like this site says it should.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably a pretty cool day up there in WI-- as opposed to here in LA, where a cool day means below 80*-- plus that wind you mentioned.

Its about 53 degrees and the WSM is in the shade...thats probably it. Just flipped the ribs half way...looking good!

If it's holding where you want, that's what counts. Learning how outside temps, sun, shade and/or wind contribute to your cooker temps as much as your vents do is good experience for future cooks.

Yeah, My first few cooks were in the summer yet. And the temp did jump up there quite a bit. But now that's it's been cold out. Like in the 40's the last few days. I can't get the temp to go above 250f even with all the vents open on the bottom. Which is fine. But I can't cook at higher temps for chicken and roasts like I'd like to. I'll have to use my kettles for that in the winter time.

I just did a Sirloin Tip Roast yesterday in the WSM. I wanted to cook around 350f or so. But that did'nt happen. Cooked around 240f the whole cook till the meat reached around 137f or so. The WSM wide open would not climb above 240f. Till towards the end after shaking some asho off of the coals it got up to 251f and stopped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back