First cook with Mesquite

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Don't understand the bad rap that surrounds mesquite wood. I used two chunks of mesquite and two chunks of oak on a hot and fast brisket cook this weekend.The smell from the smoke was defintely distinctive but pleasant. One of the best briskets I've made. Very little fat left to trim when done. Tweeked the hot and fast method a little to get a better bark on it. Took the brisket out of the foil when I felt a little resistance in the probe and put it back on the smoker neeked with more rub for about 45 minutes to an hour. Firmed up the meat and darkened the bark. Of course, once you rewrap it in foil and towels to rest the surface gets soft again but it does firm back up.

You got to love it, I guess. When I lived in Texas it is what I learned Brisket was supposed to taste like . Thats the only way I'll cook it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It depends on where in Texas you go (or lived). Though many people automatically equate Texas barbecue and mesquite, fewer places--by far--use it than use pecan, oak or hickory, simply because there are more places Q joints in central, northern and eastern Texas (where those woods are more common--and cheaper) than in southern or western Texas where mesquite is more the norm.

To me, mesquite in moderation can work--and it can work on shorter cooks as well. I find it doesn't work well if the meat was low/slowed (many places that use it do not low/slow, contrary to popular belief). Some that do use it for low/slow--well, to me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't--it depends on how much was used I'd say. The meat can end up with a bitter cast that's unpalatable.

Rich, do you prefer mesquite for brisket or for all or most beef? Do you use it on other meats?

Kevin, I thought I'd try it on some butts next time. Might even do straight mesquite no hickory or oak. I've had these logs sitting in my shed for over 15 years. The bugs wouldn't touch them.

Back