First Cook this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob H

TVWBB Member
I did my first smoke this weekend and thanks to all the info gleamed from this web site it turned out great. I smoked two racks of baby backs and some ?country pork ribs? that were on sale. As an experiment I wanted to use the country ribs. I had tried to grill them many times in the past and there were always tough and hard to eat. I couldn?t believe how good they were smoked on the WSM. I ate so many I thought I was going to be sick.

Thanks to Chris and the many posters I got info from. I would have been totally lost without this site. I think the biggest thing I learned here was to trust the WSM and let it do its work. It did a great job.

Congrats to one of my favorite cities. Great food town.

You started out smoking pork in the Great State of Texas? I lived in Houston for four years and found one great pork sandwich place. I will admit I do have a taste for brisket now.

Sonny you are so right! I was dying to do a brisket, but I was afraid of failure the first time out. But now I am thinking of doing a brisket for my next project. Brisket is my first choice when eating Q.

What happened to the Tide? I wanted them to beat Arkansas after Arkansas beat my longhorns.

Hey Bob,

Try an overnighter with a brisket on bottom and a pork butt or two on top. Cook the butt to 190 deg. Brisket should be perfect. Cook the full size brisket, not the flat.

Our Tide boys have had 3 coaches in two years. Not yet hooked up to the program. Oh well, at least the entire state can pull against A&M and Coach Fran...

Sonny thanks for the idea; I think I will do that. I sliced the one leftover country rib last night into 1/8 inch thick slices, warmed them up and put them on some home made fresh flour tortillas I picked up from the local Tex-Mex restaurant with some of their fresh salsa. I knew then that the WSM was going to be a great additional.

As for Coach Fran, I agree with you. I can?t believe he left a program like Alabama for A&M. Go Horns.

Sonny.... lol...

(quote)
"I will admit I do have a taste for brisket now."

I had only attempted to cook one brisket before I joined the TVWB...what a disaster...way to tough ... pork was the only meat I had ever thought of when it came to smoking... however ...

/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I will admit I do have a taste for brisket now.

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, what is happening to us southern boys?

Bob hit on a great idea I learned in Houston. Tortillas are my favorite all around sandwich bread. They are great with ham and cheese or eggs and sasuage. I fix my lunch for work with them.

Shread up some turkey or ham or brisket, jack cheese, Zatarans(?) hot mustard, cracked pepper. Tuck in the sides and and roll it up. Good stuff.

Sonny,

Thought I would let you know I just got back from Sam's with a brisket and two Boston Butts. I will let you know how they come out. I am hoping to have them ready in time for the Texas-OU game.

If Texas loses I will have Q ready to help me with the loss.

Thanks

It will be interesting to hear how things turn out. I'm heading to Sam's Club after work today to pick up a brisket & boston butt to put in the WSM Saturday night. I'm kind of nervous since this is my first brisket attempt.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm in the same boat. This is my first brisket also. Thank goodness for this board. I could have never done this with the webber inst. manual.

Based on all the good advice here, I think we will do OK!

Most of the cryovac'd briskets sold at warehouse clubs have a nice layer of fat on it. Grab one of these and follow the direction for Midnight Brisket and you should be fine. Just made one myself last night and it was the absolute best cook I've had to date!

Brisket came off at 186 degrees and stayed wrapped in foil and a cooler for almost three hours. Sliced and served at the perfect temperature. Even my three year-old cleaned her plate!

Thanks Russ,

Put the brisket on the bottom rack an hour ago with the midnight method. Got a boston butt on top waiting for the Texas OU game.

You're right about the warehouse club brisket. It had a nice layer of Fat about 1/4 inch on top. I had do a bare mimium of trimming.

I was cooking a pork butt and brisket using the ?Minion Method?. Butt was on top and brisket on the bottom. I started at 10:00pm last night and just pulled the butt off after checking the internal temp. It looks great. Took a small sample and tastes wonderful. I think the brisket needs some more time. I started with a 13lber.

I did not touch the cooker from 10:30 till 7:00 this morning. The WSM did a wonderful job with this cooking method. When I checked the coals this morning they were still glowing and maintaining about 240 degrees in the cooker. I slept soundly and let the cooker do the work last night.

Thanks for everyone?s help here on the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[qb]
Try an overnighter with a brisket on bottom and a pork butt or two on top. Cook the butt to 190 deg. Brisket should be perfect. Cook the full size brisket, not the flat.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm also planning to cook my first brisket tonight, with a pork butt on top. What smoke wood do you use in this case? I use oak and hickory for pork butt alone, but I was thinking of using mesquite and hickory. Any thoughts?

Richard
A small amount of mesquite goes a very long ways, the combo you named is about as strong as any wood combo you could come up with.
Jim

I'm really not fond of that strong a smoke on brisket, to be honest. I much prefer pecan or apple on briskets, and butts too. Just my 2-cents...

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob H:
[qb] I think the brisket needs some more time. I started with a 13lber.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The brisket I'll be putting on tonight is also a 13 pounder. Did you have to fold part of the flat under to get it to fit on the lower grate? I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

Jeff

I was thinking of using 2 chunks of cherry & 2 apple for my brisket/butt combo tonight. Does that sound OK? I don't want too heavy of a smoke taste.

Jeff

Jeff, being in Oklahoma, I usually do 13 to 14 pounders myself. That's just what we usually find around here. You can always trim away some of the end of the flat and lay it to the side of the grate, to chop up later to go in beans. I like to lay a small piece of foil under the very ends of the brisket where they're getting close to touching the smoker wall, to help deflect some of the stronger heat that flows around the edges of the water pan and up the sides of the smoker. I don't WRAP the ends, just lay some foil under the ends of the brisket for about half the cooking time or so. That cherry and apple sounds great!

I can never second-guess which will be done first. I always try to do a brisket and a butt together so that the butt can baste the brisket, but times vary greatly with the mood of the meat. When the bone in the butt wiggles and acts like it will pull out easily, and it looks like it's collapsing in on itself, it's done (about 190). When you can stick a fork in the brisket and turn it like it was in butter, and the brisket does a visual "waba-waba" like a cross between a meteorite and jello, then you know it's done. (about 188 for me).

What time are we having sammiches???

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri,
Thanks for the advice on putting foil beneath the ends of a big brisket. I was worried about it drying out since it extends past the edge of the water pan.
As far as the fork turn "waba-waba" goes, I think that will take a little practice /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'm planning on taking the brisket off when it reaches 188.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back