first cook on bullet

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hi everyone,
my bullet is on the way from amazon,wish I knew about this site b-4 ordering.I will be ordering more stuff,and will use links through this site.My question is what will I be less likely to screw up cooking on this? I only have a pyrex candy thermometer(but will upgrade soon)for using through the top vent,and apple wood chips to smoke with,any feedback will

be appreciated
thanks,kevin S

welcome kevin, congrats on your new smoker, you're gonna love it. If i had applewood and no meat thermometer, i'd do a couple whole chickens. brine 'em and throw them on. Chicken is pretty forgiving if brined and applewood works well with it. It'll be done when the juices run clear and the leg feels loose at the joint. Or 170 degrees in the breast and 180 in the thigh if you got a meat thermometer. I just did an overnight brisket and in the morning i threw on two cornish hens (for lunch) I didn't do anything to them just salt and pepper. 2 1/2 hours later they were great. It's fun to just throw a bunch of stuff on and have fun. Also foil wrap a few apples stuffed with candy bars, you cant go wrong with those and they don't take up any space. good luck

Thanks Mike,
I think i will do that,if imess up chicken at least it wont be too costly ,let ya know how i make out
be back soon,
kevin

Use the time between now and the arrival of your WSM to peruse the Cooking section of the website (link at top of page). The different cooks documented there will give you foreknowledge of what to expect when you actually get hands-on and fired-up. Chances are slim to none that you will produce anything inedible.

Hey there,

You really ought to try the high and fast method for chicken that Chris talks about on the Cooking web site. The skin comes out crispy and the meat juicy.

Then next try a boston butt as it is very forgiving. I rub the butt with mustard after scoring it and I also take it off the smoker at the end and braise it a little with direct heat from the remaining coals with a little bbq sauce. Great taste!

Regards,
PrestonD

My first cook was two chickens on the bottom rack and three racks of ribs on top. They both finished at around the same time because the chickens were big. I followed the recipes on this site and everything was great.

Congrats on your new addition!

Pork Eat World

My first choice was a Boston butt. This gave me a lot of chance to fiddle with the vents, check water, etc. I checked cooking temps with a cheap thermomoter through the vent and meat temp with an "instant read" digital. It was a blast and turned out great. I also made sure that I wasn't cooking to serve that same day. This took away any time pressure so no urge to rush the process.

Your going to have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my bullet is on the way from amazon,wish I knew about this site b-4 ordering.I will be ordering more stuff,and will use links through this site <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You definitely want to get a probe thermometer. It's the best way to judge when your meat is done. As I just learned with a brisket cook, you can't always judge cooking time by the weight of a piece of meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back