First cook off to a bad start (broken Maverick, "banged" WSM)

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All!

I'm just at the beginning of my first cook and so far it has not gone very well (still fun, though).

I am making BRITU and can't get to the BRITU page (see my post below). I've got a work-around for that so it's no longer a problem.

My WSM came with a big "blemish" on the bottom lip of the middle section. I didn't think it would matter but I can actually see into the WSM through where the blemish is. I must be loosing heat there.

My Maverick temp guage came yesterday and the transmiter is broken (yes, I did turn it on /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )
I tried changing the batteries but still no go. I took my weber thermometer out of my grill and stuck it in the top vent of the WSM. It says 250 so I assume that the internal temp must be about right (assuming it is accurate).

Thanks to this great forum (which I read several times) I was pretty much able to do the whole process from memory. I'll report my results later on.

I do have two questions.

1. Even with the vents open, the weber thermometer says it's under 250. Should I add coals?

2. I'm using a rib rack. Do I need to "flip the ribs?

Thanks!

Craig

I realize its waay to late, but looks like others may be having hard time logging on or I'm sure you would have gotten quicker responses.

Am interested in knowing how it went for you so please post results. I have heard with racks to turn the racks and not the ribs, if you did turn the ribs, how easy was it...im getting my rib rack Monday from amazon.com (rolled them last time) and am debating on whether to use it or not, rolling was pretty easy.

Craig:

Had a similar issue with WSM damage after it was shipped through Amazon. Call Weber and get a replacement. They did it for me with a warped Charcoal Bowl. First big smoke tomorrow with two chickens!

DWL

I did seem to have a lot of problems. I used my Webber thermometer (from my grill) since my Maverick was DOA. In the end, the ribs were great! We have a family tradition where we allow our kids to pick a restaurant on their birthday and go there for supper. My little guy usually picks Chili?s because he likes the ribs (which I think are baked and a totally different animal then we are talking about in this forum). After eating the BRITU ribs he asked if I would make them on his birthday instead of Chili?s. That?s a big compliment from an eight year old!.

I was waiting for my rib rack from Amazon but in the mean time bought two Charbroil racks from Home Depot. I read a post by Stogie where he recommended these. They are of lower quality then Weber but you can bend them. You can fit six half-racks in them. They worked out great but were a real pain to clean.

I had a rib rack on each on each grade and shifted them half way through the cook. I didn?t want to risk tearing the ribs by pulling them out and rotating them.

I did have a problem with temperature (assuming the Weber thermometer was correct). I used two Chimneys of coal to start and added two half-chimneys at other times during the cook. I cooked the ribs for about 7 hours (just in case since the temp dipped to 200 a few times). The ribs showed no ill effect. I topped them with the 5 parts KC Masterpiece to 1 part honey.

As I said in another post, my middle section had a blemish that I?m sure resulted in heat loss. I?d hate to pay for shipping back to Weber. If they will replace it and pay for shipping back I probably will do it. Otherwise I will live with it.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Craig

Craig:

Weber said nuthin' to me in regards to shipping. Just asked me for my two letter serial# code on the top lid vent. I assume that is to make sure you didn't drop and dent 5 year old WSM. If you just got it from Amazon, call Weber and tell them that it arrived damaged. They didn't charge me for shipping.

Ribs sound good -- gotta go check my chicken temp!

DWL

Just finished the last three racks for dinner. Six racks seemed like a lot for two adults and three kids (two meals). We knocked them off, no problem. Next time I will have to make more!

This really is good livin! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all for your input!

Regards,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back