First cook and a few problems...

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hi all,

Yesterday I did my first smoke on my new (used) WSM. I did a butterflyed chicken, rubbed. I filled the charcoal chamber to full, and because it was a little windy and cold (10 mph wind and about 65 degrees and dropping) I used 26 lit coals and spread them evenly over the charcoal. Got the temp to 250 after about 5 minutes, and put on the chicken on the top grate and placed 5 chunks of dried fig wood on the fire. Brinkman water pan was completely full of water. And what happened?

The lid temp got to 289 and stayed there for 3 hours (until I pulled the chicken and didn't check it anymore)...desite my constructing a windbreak and closing all the vents. What the?!

I'm guessing that I used way too much fuel for the measly 4 3/4 lb. chicken. Also, I guess I probably should have used fewer lit coals...probably should have gone with 15-20? I guess 65 degrees isn't all that cold after all...and the wind just exacerbated the problem by igniting the rest of the briquettes more quickly.

As some of you may remember, my WSM is slightly out of round and the gaps between the cooking chamber and the charcoal bowl produce a few gaps where wind can enter. I'm sure this is a problem too, but I have already purchased fireplace gasket to solve that problem.

The chicken was actually pretty good. Not *great*, but it was definately edible and better than most ready cooked chickens from the grocery store.

Do you guys think I used way too much fuel for the amount of meat I had on?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm guessing that I used way too much fuel for the measly 4 3/4 lb. chicken. Also, I guess I probably should have used fewer lit coals...probably should have gone with 15-20? I guess 65 degrees isn't all that cold after all...and the wind just exacerbated the problem by igniting the rest of the briquettes more quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you answered your question right here.

Phil --

I think mine leaks more than Kevin's. I start with about 12-15 hot briquettts (sp?? bride and I have enjoyed Reisling w/shrimps tonight) and dump them on one side of the ring. I think this gives me a slower start and greater ease of fire control. Also, based on your hitting 289 and staying there with all the bottom vents closed, (and I realize this is heresy) you should look at restricting the top vent. This works with the Guru on WSMs where the natural draft lets the fire take control. Next cook, try using the top vent 1/2 closed, about 12-15 hot coals and romp down hard on the bottom vents when it passes 200.

Phil,

GO FOR IT MAN...!!!!

Head to Wally world, get a whole packer and SMOKE !!!!!

4lbs of chicken is for the folks at KFC !!!!

Well I hope the fireplace gasket solves at least part of the problem(s). I'm thinking now I probably shouldn't have attempted the cook at all...but I had just got back from a hunting trip Sat. afternoon and had found the Brinkman water pan from bass pro shop on my doorstep. Needless to say I just had to do a cook right away...even with the wind and the gasket not installed yet.

Hopefully things will go better this weekend. I am doing Mr. Brown for Mother's day and will be having people (including mom of course) over to eat it. They are all pretty excited to eat the food from the WSM, as none have had pulled pork before (yes, you read that right...NEVER).I'm sure I will be frantically asking questions this coming friday and saturday while I'm getting prepared. Hope you guys are ready for another round of newbie questions!
icon_smile.gif
Actually, I was thinking of doing some kind of photo log/first "real" smoke type of thing and posting it here if people are receptive.

Vernon...I was actually thinking of closing the top vents. But, I thought, I didn't want to restrict the smoke and end up with TOO smoky chicken. I also doubted whether it would have had any benefit. After all, heat and smoke are exiting through those holes...how much air can get in AND make it's way down to the charcoal? Have you found that it helps?

Phil, Before you start messing around with the top vent, start with less briquets in the beginning. We had similar temps here yesterday and I started with 12 lit briquests. When your temps start to approach 200*, start closing the bottom vents to around 25%. As you hit 230*, close down the bottom vents as needed to maintain your temp. Tiny adjustments go a long way, but need time to stabilize. As far as the top vent, I ALWAYS leave it 100% open. Remeber, it's easier to bring the temp up than it is to bring it down. Good luck this weekend, pork shoulders are very forgiving and a great cook to do.

I'm with Nick. I think restricting the top vent openings can work well with a Guru (as Vernon has pointed out in other threads) but I hesitate in 'normal' use. Nothing worse than getting a creosote/soot thing happening on your meat.

If you start closing bottom vents when you hit 200 you should be able to control your temps. I usually close the windward vent totally, the other two to 1/3 open, then 20-30 min later make tiny adjustments from there.

For chickens like you did, Phil, I actually prefer a higher temp (350) because I like chicken skin. Just wondering: What made the chicken 'pretty good'? What made it 'not great'?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For chickens like you did, Phil, I actually prefer a higher temp (350) because I like chicken skin. Just wondering: What made the chicken 'pretty good'? What made it 'not great'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The skin was actually really good. It did get crispy.

I'm not sure why I didn't think the chicken was super good. I don't know...I think I'm of the opinion that you can really only do so much to a chicken. The smoke never really penetrated the meat too deeply...and although it was fabulously juicy, it was, well, just chicken. Like I said, I used fig wood. Maybe I'll try oak or some hickory next time. I also have 3 alder trees in my yard...maybe I'll break out the chainsaw and get a few chunks from that.

I was never really freaking out about the temps. I knew the chicken would be o.k. It just disturbed me, knowing that I have a pretty big cook this weekend, that I couldn't control the temps better. But, it was my first smoke with the WSM after all, and I think once I get the gasket installed and cook on a less windy day I'll be o.k. That, and of course using fewer briquettes when I'm cooking small amounts.

Back