First Competition

AlanK

I am excited to enter my first BBQ Competition in September (Amateur Division of course). Does anyone have advice on websites I can view that will provide me with details? I am brand new to this and need all the help I can get, no matter how basic.

Thanks!

What type of details are you looking for. The contest you will give you all the details related to that event. Give us a little more details on what details you need and I am sure we can give some pointers.

Hi Jeff,

I am looking for assitance on what equipment I should bring, proper etiquette, ways to build the food box. Pretty much anything that could prepare me for the my first competition.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,
You need to tell us more about the contest. Who is sanctioning it? What are the garnish rules? What meat categories are you entering? Is it a one or two day event? What are rules on seasoning in advance? The advice you need is dependent on knowing those factors

There are several checklist out on the web and are very similar. Here is one

The contest rules will outline the amount of turn in pieces needed and the garnish that is allowed. Make your boxes look the best they can to show off the meat. As far as preparing for the contest, know your cook times from practice runs and plan accordingly for the turn in.

Competition adds a whole new element to "it's done when it's done"

have fun and good luck at your first.

The very best checklist you can have is the one you make on your own.

Do a test cook just like you would at the comp in your backyard (complete with 'on time' turn-ins). Have somebody watch and make a list of EVERYTHING that you used to do that 'competition'. Everything from tables w/ leg extensions, to sauces, rubs, injections, to spoons, knives, a basting brush, to a roll of paper towels, right down to the meat itself. EVERYTHING.

Then figure out sleeping arrangements (assuming it's an overnighter). You'd be amazed at how just having your favorite pillow makes a very big difference in the quality of rest. Add ALL of these things to your list.

Then when you start packing for your comp, follow your list like a crazy person. Check off each item when it is ACTUALLY packed. Really a sick feeling realizing you left something at home, look at your list, and sure enough, it's not checked off. I still print out and check off every item on my list and I've been competing for almost 5 years now.

I even still do a printed out cooking timeline. It's my best friend when I get behind or something goes wrong and I need to get back on track.

Russ

I couldn't agree with Russ more.

Packing checklists and cooking timelines really help. For my cooking timeline I put the time something actually occurred to know if I ran behind or early on that item.

If you need anymore information just let us know. Remember to have fun.

And I will join in agreeing with Russ as well. The absolute best thing you can do to prep for a comp is a real practice in your backyard ( or two of them) where you do things just like you would at a contest. That is what helped me the most in refining my checklist and working out my timeline. Sometime it is a bit surprising what details you forgot. It sure is a lot easier to run into the house to get something (of course writing down what you brought out). regards, mark

Back