First Comp Question

KCBS comps have turn in times set 30 minutes apart. This is plenty of time to get everything cut, sauced, boxed, etc. For me, pork takes the longest, followed by ribs, brisket, and chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
KCBS comps have turn in times set 30 minutes apart. This is plenty of time to get everything cut, sauced, boxed, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to cook with you cowboy!

My experience is that 30 minutes is just enough time to take a breath from the last category and get the next one prepped. Of course, I'm a small time competitor so my prep skills get rusty comp to comp.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
How long does everyone give themselves to cut sauce and box their meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never cut sauce. At least with a knife. I do cut my sauce with stock occasionally.

I generally allow 15 min to box chicken, 20 min to slice and box brisket, 20 min to slice and
pull butt, 15 min to slice ribs. That is assuming that you have practiced the maneuver several times and that your box is set up with garnish, optional, as you like it. The main thing is to get the meat to the judging table as warm as possible. AND ON TIME!

Mark

Derek,
You should probably do a practice run, and see how long it takes you, rather than how long it takes others

Usually takes me 5-7 to pick out what's going in the box, and anywhere from 5-7 more to get it in the box, touch up, take a picture, and send it.

I generally start chicken boxing about 10 'til. Ribs I'll start slicing and boxing at about quarter 'til. Depending on how I cooked the pork (slice temp, pull temp, or chunk temp), I generally start processing about 20 'til. Brisket is surprisingly quick and I'll start it about quarter 'til.

Of course I cook FBA so I get an hour between turn-ins and I don't have to deal with the salad fixins.

Russ

Derek one thing I learned at my last 2 comps (which are only my 2nd and 3rd total) is to start making up your boxes for KCBS the night before and keep them cool and spritz them with some water.

Our first comp we tried to build the boxes with curled parsley between each turn in time. Combine that with some miserable tasting que and it was a disaster. Get your times down. I'm learning that makes all the difference.

Back