First chuck time pretty far off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
So I got through my first Chuck roast this weekend. Turned out great, but my time calculations didn't fly. I was planning on close to 3 hour /lb. Planned on foiling at 165 and start checking tenderness at 195. Here's what happened. Put it on at 7:30 pm. Got up at 3:30 to flip and baste....meat temp already at 170. Didn't want to accelerate by foiling at 3:30 am, so set Maverick alarm for 180....thinking I'd hit that 175 plateau.... Nope! Woke me back up an hour later at 4:30. Foiled and set alarm for 195,.....again woke me up in another hour around 5:30. temp 195. Wasn't really pullable, and some fat marbleing still hadn't completely rendered. Decided to go back to bed and let it go till 7:30. By then temp was around 205, and much better,...let it go for another hour and it was fine. Came out to just over 2 hours / lb. Refrigerated and reheated for supper....pulled very nicely, and was fantastic. Pretty none restfull night but oh well. So chuck seems pretty unpredictable....it's done when it wants to be done???
I think when I want just beef I'll probably stick to briskett. Next time a do a pulled butt though I think I'll throw a chuck on and mix the two meats together with some sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back