First Butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve C.

Ok, I've done the ribs, brisket, chicken and turkey. Now it's time for the encore-the Butt!

I've done several searches on these forums to get into the grove of the "how to". I do have a couple of questions:

1. I'm planning on two 5 lb butts. Is the time estimates based on total weight, or each piece? (5lb X 1.5-2 hours, or 10lb X 1.5-2 hours?)

2. I'm thinking of using sand in lieu of water in the water pan. Dumb question: what kind of sand and where do you get it?

3. I'm planning on a midnight cook, starting around 10pm. However, we're not eating until around 6 pm. Assuming the butts are done around noon, will they still keep their temp wrapped up? Or should I let cool a little and pull, reheat and serve?

4. I've done all my cooks over the summer. For this cook the nighttime temp will be down to 31* and high the next day of 38*. What should be done different? Should I even use water/sand?

Thanks to everyone again!

1. It's always based on the weight of the individual piece of meat, not the cumulative weight. At XXX°, four 5-pounders should theoretically take the same amount of time as one.
2. "Play sand" from Home Depot.
3. If you hold them in a cooler, keep your thermometer in one to make sure they don't drop below about 140°. If it looks like they will much before two hours before dinner time, pull them and get them into the refrigerator, and reheat gently in microwave or low oven.
4. Good question. Might not need either. Were it me, given the cold, I'd try sand and have both roasts on the top grate. Use Minion Method to fire up, of course, and load up the charcoal ring if you want to get some sleep.

Howdy neighbor!
icon_smile.gif

I just did my first cook this past Saturday in similar weather conditions (glad I didn't do it with all that wind on Sunday!). I had two 5 pound boneless butts from Costco on for 11 hours. I had water in the pan, and added water one time about half way through the cook. I started with Minion Method. Full chamber and 20-25 lit coals on top. Had a plywood wind break up protecting my WSM on three sides.

I had a little temperature management issue, along with being a complete rookie at this, but it is certainly doable. I cooked a little hot during the last 90 mins so I could have it done in time for dinner. Think I may add the water heater blanket as well for my next cook just to try an maximize my fuel even more. Very pleased with my first attempt, and anxiously awaiting my next smoke!

1. Listen to Doug... Although, butts are notorious for taking longer than they 'should'.
2. Get the 'Play Sand'. It is 'cleaned' so that it is clean enough for children to 'play' in. Alton Brown puts his in the oven (I think on the self cleaning cycle) to sterilize it.
3. Listen to Doug... Two butts in a small cooler will hold their heat for quite a while, but monitor to be sure.
4. Got to go with Doug again on this one. If you use water (which I still prefer), make sure you refill it just before going to bed with HOT water.
Hope you have a remote thermometer!

The butts are super forgiving, especially if you start dropping the temperature towards the end of the cook. With sand in the pan you'll probably use less charcoal, I find that I do. Also, if the you find that they are dropping below 140 you can always put them in a warm (160 - 180) oven if they're wrapped up tight in foil. Make sure you don't start cooking em too much or even the bone will be falling off the bone.

morgan

Steve,

I think you should plan at least a minimum of 12 hours. More likely, you will cook 14-16 hours. This time of year it's even more important to keep the wind away from the WSM. Insulating the WSM is even better if you can. I've read some people here use hot water heater jackets for this. I use a silver bullet smoking jacket with a BBQ guru, but you don't need that.

Good luck!

For the record, I've found that the silver bullet jacket works fine even without the guru. Definitely helps with fuel efficiency and temp control during these cold, windy times.

I plan on about 18 hours for bone-in butts typically 6-8 lbs. Most of the time is spent at the 160F "plateau" where rendering and connective tissue breakdown occurs. If you are running out of time, you can always finish in a 300-350 oven. I've done that once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back